Prompt #51

A.N.- Twitter-inspired prompt that goes along with prompt #50 about who hated the kid enough to name it Newt :p 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “He’s beautiful,” Will said, keeping his voice down.

                “He kind of looks like an alien,” I said, also keeping my voice down.

                Will elbowed me and I grunted. I looked down at our son, who indeed looked beautiful (as well as like a freaking alien because babies are weird).

                Well, his sister had looked like a beautiful alien baby too. At least they didn’t look like the chestbuster aliens, because god only knows how fast I’d chuck the thing out of the window and become a nun.

                “He needs a name,” Will said, reaching out and stroking the baby’s cheek. Will and I had decided to pull an Elton John, and both of our kids were born from the same surrogate mother. We technically didn’t know whose baby gravy had produced the kids, but that was fine by me.

                “I told you we should’ve named him before he was born,” I said with a sigh.

                “We had names. But none of them seem to fit him,” Will reminded. We had considered a variety of names, but Will was right. None of them seemed to fit the child currently cradled in my arms.

                Will was a hotshot in the movie world, so we were trying to keep the birth of our son pretty quiet. Will didn’t like the kids to be put under the spotlight. He preferred to keep work and family separate, which was also fine by me.

                I gently rocked the baby, eyeing him carefully, trying to think of a good name for him. Will had mentioned the name Cecilia when we were coming up with names for our daughter, and I had brought it up again when she’d been born.

                We had thought about naming our son Benjamin or Jacob, but looking at him now, he neither named seemed to fit. I was surprised Will hadn’t suggested naming him Darth Vader yet.

                “We’re not naming him Will Jr.,” I said, glancing at Will. “Will Will will his will to Will?”

                “Ethan,” Will groaned, scowling at me. “I don’t want to name him Will Jr.!”

                Will stroked the baby’s cheek again as I rocked the baby lightly. It’s not like we could keep the kid without a name. This was so much harder than I thought it would be. Sigh.

                I turned to Will. “Why don’t we name him after one of your movie characters? You’re always really proud of those, and I don’t know about you but I’m pretty damn proud that we made this beautiful alien child. So to speak.”

                Will looked thoughtful. “I like that. Not the part about him being a beautiful alien child, but the rest.”

                “What about the first real movie you ever made?” I asked, trying to think back on it. “The one that launched your career.”

                “The main guy in that was named Newton,” Will said, smiling a little at the baby. “What if we name him Newton?”

                I looked down at the baby. “What about…Cecilia Grace Duvet and Newton Benjamin Duvet?”

                Will’s smile grew. “I like that. I like that a lot.” He moved his hand away from the baby’s cheek, putting his fingers under my chin and tilting my head, kissing me.

                “I just named my own son Newton,” I said with a sigh.

                “Technically I named him. I like the name,” Will said.

                “Yea, yea.” I pulled Will closer to me and we both smiled at Newt. With him and Cecilia, our family was officially complete, and we couldn’t be any happier.