Prompt #8

Prompt: Or maybe Sonnet is in elementary school and she is in a school play. But the night of the play she gets stage fight and can't go on but Will talks to her and helps her over come her fear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “Are you excited for the play tonight Sonnet?” Grace asked her daughter.

                “Yes!” 7 year old Sonnet said eagerly.

                “The play sounds stupid. I don’t want to go,” 10 year old Will said with a scowl.

                “William, your sister is proud for getting a part. We’re all going,” Leo said, shooting his son a stern look.

                The family was sitting at the dinner table, eating before they left for Sonnet’s play. She had one of the leading roles, and was incredibly proud and excited.

                “Whatever,” Will grumbled, crossing his arms and glaring down at his almost empty plate. He didn’t understand why he had to go watch some dumb play just because his brat of a sister was in it.

                They finished eating and Grace left to help Sonnet get ready. Leo and Will began to clean the table off together.

                “William, can you please be happy for your sister? She’s really proud,” Leo said.

                “I don’t want to go. It’s going to be stupid,” Will said.

                “It’s going to be fun!” Leo said with a smile.

                “No. It’s a bunch of kids putting on a play with poor acting,” Will said.

                “They have to start somewhere. Maybe someday they’ll be star actors in one of your movies,” Leo said, ruffling Will’s hair. “Just act like you’re excited. Please. For Sonnet.”

                “I don’t even like the brat,” Will grumbled.

                “You know you love your sister. Now come on, let’s get ready so we’re not late!” Leo said.

                Will went downstairs and pulled his shoes on. Sonnet and his parents appeared a minute later and they all went out, getting in the car.

                They got to the school, where the play was taking place. Grace took Sonnet’s hand in hers and led her around to the back while Will followed Leo into the auditorium.

                They sat down together once Leo had grabbed two programs. He began to scan them as Grace came back, sitting with them.

                “Oh, Leo, there’s Benji Bryant’s parents. Let’s go say hi,” Grace said, nudging him and nodding at the Bryant family. “Will, we’ll be right back!”

                Grace and Leo got up, heading over to the Bryant family. Will stared at the curtain hiding the stage, feeling infinitely bored and wishing he had brought his Gameboy.

                “Will!”

                He turned at the little voice of Gideon Marchesane. “Will!” he said, stopping in front of Will with a frown.

                “What?” Will asked.

                “It’s Sonnet,” he said. “She wanted your mom, but you can come instead.”

                Will normally would’ve told the younger boy to leave him alone. But the urgency in his eyes had Will getting up and following him around back of the stage.

                “Sonnet, I got your brother!” Gideon said, pulling Will over to the little girl.

                “I said my mom!” Sonnet cried.

                Gideon winced. “You handle it,” he said to Will before running off.

                Will went over and knelt down next to Sonnet. She was sitting on a crate, nervously fidgeting with her hands.

                “What’s wrong?” he asked.

                “I don’t want to do this,” she said, dropping her gaze, her eyes watering. “There are so many people out there. I can’t go out there!”

                “You’ve been practicing so hard for this,” Will said, putting an arm around her shoulders. “You can’t just give up.”

                “I’m scared to go out there,” she whimpered, wiping at her eyes. “Will, there are so many people!”

                “Stage fright,” Will said and she looked up at him curiously. “It’s called stage fright. Do you know why I was never in a play?”

                “Why?” she asked, sniffling.

                “Because I had stage fright,” Will said. He looked around before lowering his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “I was afraid of people watching me.”

                Sonnet giggled. “But you love this kind of stuff!”

                He shook his head. “No, I like being behind the scenes. But you? You’re never afraid! Do you really want those people to think you’re afraid?”

                “No,” she admitted, and her eyes began to water again. “But what if I mess up?”

                “So what? At least you were brave enough to go up there,” Will said.

                She looked up at him, wiping her eyes again. “Do you think I’ll mess up?”

                “Nope. I think you’re going to go out there and impress everyone. Maybe one day I’ll even let you star in one of my movies,” Will said. “I’ve heard you practicing with mom and dad. You’ve got this. Just ignore all those people out there. Or look at me and mom and dad. We’re sitting in the front. You’ll see us. Pretend you’re acting for us again. Show them who Sonnet Duvet is.” He playfully punched her shoulder.

                “Yea,” she said, her eyes sparkling with determination. “I can do this. I’ll show them who I am!”

                She jumped up and Will stood up. To his surprise, she hugged him tightly. He hesitated, looking around to make sure no one was watching before hugging her back.

                “You’ve got this,” he assured her.

                “Thanks Will,” she said with a small smile.

                “Just speaking the truth kid,” he said, returning the smile. “Now, go knock ‘em dead!”

                She giggled and nodded before taking off to stand with her friends. Will left, trying to hide his smile as he returned to his parents. As the curtain rose a few minutes later, Sonnet’s eyes sought out her family, and she smiled as Will gave her an encouraging nod. He smiled back at her, flashing her thumbs up to let her know that she was going to do just fine.