Chapter 40

I awoke with the sun shining in my eyes, my limbs tangled into my sheets, and the house dead silent

I awoke with the sun shining in my eyes, my limbs tangled into my sheets, and the house dead silent. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up and untangled myself from my sheets. I hovered a hand over my yawning mouth as I quickly grabbed some jeans. They were light blue and I paired them with a grey tank top and black leather jacket. Along with my combat boots, of course. I took a brush to my hair before exiting my room and walking downstairs. My parent's bedroom door was open, which meant they were either gone or downstairs. "Mom? Dad?" I called out softly. No reply.

I sighed, opting to head to the Grime's house. Maybe I'd run into Rick on the way there and could ask where my parents had run off to. I'm not sure how late or if they came home last night, seeing as I had fallen asleep immediately after my head hit the pillow. Surprisingly, the streets were empty. No sigh of Rick, Daryl, or really anyone I knew. It wasn't long before I was standing on Carl's front porch, pushing the door open with a small shove. It creaked slightly as I opened it, making sure to close it behind me. "Hey Car- What the hell," I exclaimed as I took in the scene before me. 

"Language," my father reminded me. He, along with my Mother, Carl, Michonne, Rick, Abraham, and Daryl sitting at the dining table. Sitting around some dude I didn't recognize. He had long brown hair and a beanie on. 

"Who's he?" I asked, jabbing my eyes in the man's direction. "And why is he here?" 

"Jesus," the guy said with a smirk. I raised my eyebrows, staring at him. 

"Jesus?" I repeated slowly. 

"Yes. And I am from a community. One who knows a lot of people, and I believe I can help you and your group," Jesus explained and I stared at him in disbelief. He had to be kidding, right? There couldn't actually be another community with living people, could there? I guess it never accoured to me that people besides us could be living a good, safe life.

--------------

Later that day, we were helping prepare to leave. Well, I wasn't leaving. I was staying behind with the kids. Carl was staying with me, to help keep this place safe he claimed. "Here." I handed Rick the last gasoline can. He took it with a grateful smile. 

"Stay safe here, sweetheart," Rick said, gently placing his free hand on the side of my face and kissing my forehead. 

"You two, Rick. And please, keep my mom safe," I said, whispering the last part so Mom couldn't hear.

"Will do. Take care of him," Rick smiled, his eyes flickering over to Carl. 

"I will, I promise. I'll keep him in check," I told him. Rick nodded, patting my shoulder before walking into the RV. I turned toward Mom and Dad who were standing behind me, patiently waiting for Rick and I to finish our conversation. 

"Hey, Ror," Mom said, pulling me into a hug. "You take good care of the kids, alright? And yourself."

"I will, Mom. I'll make sure the kids are safe," I said, returning the hug. i was almost her height so I was able to rest my head on her shoulder.

"And no sex," Dad added with a small laugh. I pulled away from Mom, staring at Dad. Carl and I had decided it would be easier to sleep in the same house with Judith and Theo, seeing as both Matt and Will were going on this trip. 

"Dad!" I yelled with a look of disgust. 

"No, I'm serious, Princess. No sex," Dad said while laughing. 

"Stop!" I exclaimed, cringing. I lightly pushed him away and he continued to die laughing. 

"Glenn, stop torturing the girl," Mom said, lightly punching dad's arm. He let out a small "Ow", rubbing his arm. 

"Yeah, yeah. Sorry Mags," Dad chuckled, pulling me into a warm embrace. 

"Be careful," I said, wrapping my arms around my father's neck. 

"We will," Mom replied from beside Dad.

"Let's chew up some asphalt!" Abraham yelled from the RV doorway. 

"That's our queue to leave," Dad said, pulling away and gently kissing my cheek.

"Yeah, bye Dad. Bye Mom," I said as I watched them walk to the RV. Mom stepped inside, but Dad paused at the doorway. 

"I'm serious, Rori, no sex while we're gone!" He yelled. 

"Oh my god, Dad!" I blushed, covering my face with my hands. I heard the adults laugh. Carl was laughing, too. "Carl, don't encourage him!" 

"Ow!" Carl laughed when I smacked his arm. I even saw Judith smile around her pacifier, though I doubt she knew what we were talking about. Matt walked up to me with Theo in his arms. 

"Your sure you're 100% okay looking after him? I mean, I can have Will stay behind," Matt offered and I heard Will protest immediately. 

"It's okay, Matt. Really. We'll be fine, won't we buddy," I smiled at him, taking him out of Matt's arm and holding him in the air. He giggled and I brought him back down onto the sid of my hip. "It won't be for long, anyway. I've watched him longer. We'll be okay. I'll make sure he stays safe and fed."

"Thanks, Rori. You don't know how much this means. To both of us," Matt said, hugging me quickly before walking over to the RV.

"Thanks, Rori," Will nodded at me before following after his brother. Carl held Judith with one arm and wrapped his free one around his shoulder as we watched the RV drive away. From afar, I'm sure Carl, Judith, Theo, and I looked like one happy family. However long that would last was beyond me, but I enjoyed it while it lasted. It was one of those moments where you pray and hope that the moment would never end, that everything would be okay. Little did I know, this was going to go downwards very, very quickly. As well as very soon.

 As well as very soon