Chapter 5

===========================♛===========================

My heart pounded loudly in my chest. My palms were sweaty and my adrenaline was starting to wear off. I jumped slightly when spit landed near us. Then whistling. Rick motioned for me to stay as he held his gun. He was about ready to jump up but yelling stopped him. The man on the porch went inside and gunshots fired. 

"Come on! Go!" Rick whispered yelled at me. We took of across the yard where we found Carl and Michonne. "Go! Go!" Carl and Michonne took the hint and we all started running away from the house. 

--------

"Are you sure you're okay?" Michonne asked, gently touching my bruised neck. I pulled away from her with a wince. 

"I'm fine. Just don't touch it," I said.  

"Sorry," Michonne mumbled and we continued walking. We walked along train tracks not too far from the house. It was far enough we felt safe from those people but close enough that we could easily get back there in an hour. 

"Crazy cheese?" Carl said, breaking the silence. Michonne chuckled lightly. Rick came to a stop and I followed his lead. 

"What is it?" I asked, moving to stand beside him. There was a sign and a map taped to an empty train. 

"Sanctuary for all. Community for all. Those who arrive survive," the sign read.

"What do you think?" Michonne asked Rick. 

Rick seemed to debate it before saying, "let's go." Rick picked up his bag off the ground and we began walking again. The sun was setting quickly, leaving a pinkish glow in the sky.

--------

The next few nights were rough. We started to run out of food and water. Rick set up a snare when we stopped for a day but even that didn't provide much food. We were all tired, hungry, and thirsty. And of course sad. Sure, we had each other but more than half of our group is missing. Dad, Mom, Aunt Beth, Daryl, Bob, Sasha, Tyreese, and so many more.  

"How much water do we have left?" I asked looking at Rick with sad eyes.

"I think we got about a day's worth of water left. We're lucky it's cooled off a little bit, but-" I turned around when Rick's voice stopped. "What are you doing?"

"Winning a bet," Carl said. He carefully balanced along the train tracks. Michonne balanced on the other side of him. 

"In your dreams," Michonne laughed.

"I'm still on," Carl said.

"You spoke too soon, wise guy," Michonne laughed as Carl began to lose his balance.

"This might go on a while. Maybe we can speed this up," Rick said, walking closer to them. I followed him.

"Come on, guys. We don't have much food and water left and we're close to terminus," I said.