#33: The Final Trail

"Never lose hope for even the hardest of trials eventually come to an end."

~

Time flowed away, like water…it never stayed still. It is impossible to hold it in the palm of your hand and gather it up. It will still slip away bit by bit from within your fingers, leaving your hands empty. 

It was only now that he truly realized the importance of time and existence.

"How are you feeling?" Jungkook asked, and instantly felt stupid and mentally face palmed. 

It was truly an absurd thing to say, especially to a stage 4 cancer patient.

However, Jungkook wasn't exactly at fault. He tended to speak without thinking when he got nervous.

Thankfully Jungsoo did not point it out and instead gestured to the chair near her hospital bed with an IV-clad hand, "Take a seat and let me look at you first. It's been so long since I saw you." 

It's been long indeed.

Over 13 years, to be exact.

Jungkook nervously shuffled towards the chair. The room was filled with the sound of the beeping monitor and the scent of medicine was thick in the room. In the window sat a few vases filled with flowers that were struggling to lighten the gloomy hospital room. 

"You have grown so big," Jungsoo observed with a sad smile.  

Jungkook silently sat in the chair, his head lowered, teary eyes fixed on his shoes, refusing to look up. Unable to respond. 

"Are you upset?" Jungsoo asked, surprised at how much this expression reminded her of a certain someone. 

"Am I not supposed to be?" Jungkook mumbled in a low voice, attempting to hold back his sobs.  

His heart was tearing apart in his chest, a sudden weight pressing down on it. All these years he had been looking for his little sister, the one he used to carry on his back and chase after in their garden, the little sister whose plaits he used to pull on, and the little sister who he used to fight with. 

It was only now sitting here that he realized that the little girl from back then was gone to never come back.

And it ripped his heart apart knowing that. 

"Yes, you should be upset. I wronged you, baby brother." Jungsoo whispered, her voice cracked. 

And his heart ached more because he knew he would never get to know the person his sister grew up to be with her own scars and nightmares. 

She will never come back. 

Oh, how much he had thought if only he could see her once. And now that he had this chance, he didn't want to let go. 

"Why…" Jungkook's voice trembled, "Did you never try to reach out to me or Seokjin?" 

"I always wanted to but I didn't dare to risk it. And I don't regret it knowing you were safe and healthy." Jungsoo whispered, reaching out a hand to wipe his tears but then silently withdrawing her hand, thin bony fingers curling into a fist resting over white hospital bed sheets, she continued in a smaller voice, "Don't be sad. Be good and forgive me this once, yeah? After all, life and death are the law of nature, one person leaves and another comes. I will leave and someone will replace me." 

The little thing within his chest clawed in pain. It hurt. 

Jungkook found he couldn't hold back anymore as big fat tears rolled past his eyes and dripped down his cheeks before splattering against the white-tiled hospital floors.