Boo Bash

When I got back to the Asphalt Cafe, several students had arrived for the start of the Boo Bash. Through the large speakers placed around the mezzanine, "Monster Mash" was playing to encourage mingling. Controlling the music was a scrawny kid with unruly hair and glasses at the DJ table. He was dressed as a 70s disco dancer and, with entirely too much confidence, was dancing vigorously. Scanning through the growing crowd, I noticed that some people coordinated their costumes together – one group was dressed solely in red, lobster costumes. I had to hand it to them, they were dancing more lively than anyone else at the moment.

When I couldn't immediately spot Cat, Beck, Andre, or even Robbie, I decided to scope out the finger food and punch bowls that were being served on banquet tables. The snacks were cleverly disguised to look like internal organs or little monsters. The gelatin brain looked the most unsettling, so naturally I cut a piece for myself to eat before pouring myself a cup of unidentifiable red punch from a witch's cauldron.

The dance floor was definitely going to be the most used space, but the upperclassmen who organized this party also created a few activities – there was a large tub full of "poison apples" for people to bob, some pumpkins to carve, and a set of double doors leading to the inside of the school labeled "Haunted Hallway." I decided that, at some point of the evening, I was going to try some of these things with my friends.

Even as I stood by myself in the meantime, I didn't feel uneasy or awkward as I might have felt not long ago. I didn't care if people looked at me as they walked by, and they definitely did. The way they were looking had changed. They were in awe of me – both in curiosity and in fear. With the way I was beginning to make myself appear through my new clothes and hair extensions, as well as my uncaring or ruthless expressions, people around me couldn't decide if they were attracted to me or repulsed by me. In either case, their feelings were rooted in fear. With this Little Red Riding Hood costume on, I got a few more gawks than I've been used to and I was secretly loving it.

It would seem that there were a few exceptions when it came to others' fear of me. The scrawny boy in disco attire started a new song and approached me with alarming comfortability.

"Hey Jade," he greeted with what I assumed was supposed to be a flirtatious face, but it was hard to tell if that was the intent or if he was in pain.

"What are you?"

"I'm glad you asked. I'm dressed as a member of the Bee Gee's. They were a band in–"

"Yeah, no, I got that. But what are you?"

"Uhh..." He was taking a long time to conjure up a thought. "A virgo?"

"Oh, for the love of – what's your name?"

"Oh, Sinjin Van Cleef," he bowed before me, "at your service."

It may have been horrible, but I could think of few things I found more repulsive than the person hunched before me. I needed to get him running away from me, and I needed to find the few people that I actually enjoy being around.

"You look like a Sinjin."

"Thanks! And you-"

"Wasn't a compliment."

"-look hot in that outfit."

"I know."

Being short with this guy wasn't working like I had intended. I kept my face stone cold and refused to engage further in this conversation, but he stood blissfully and unwavering. We stood in silence for an uncomfortably long moment before I broke.

"I'll give you the rest of my punch if you walk away."

"Deal."

He eagerly claimed my cup and scurried back to his position at the DJ table. God, I hope I never have to encounter him again, I thought. As soon as he was out of my proximity, I found a pair of familiar wings gliding through the crowd of people – a perfect identifier amidst the loud music and strobing lights.