Poor Thing

I bolted down Beck's street, keeping an eye on the time. Not that it would really matter whether I got home in the next two minutes or two hours — mom already caught me in a lie.

She's going to kill me.

I wasn't sure how I could make up a believable lie to cover for my other lie, but I'm usually good at being clever on my toes. It would probably be better to not overthink anything now. Save it for later.

Think about something else. Distract yourself. Look at the houses you're passing or something.

The structures were an interesting hodgepodge. Every home on Beck's street was unique in its own way — that's not necessarily a compliment. All of them were small, but some were in desperate need of renovation, and others in desperate need for a custodial crew. I guess I'd never paid attention to how much less affluent this area was — I don't think a single one of these places was worth even a fraction of my parents' house. Well, I guess Mom's house now.

I know it's not cheap to live in Los Angeles; Beck's neighbors must be closer to the bottom of the barrel.

As I got closer to my street, the houses started reflecting the wealth of those who resided there. One, I recalled, was owned by an ER doctor - he had a magnificent pool in his backyard. Another, a well established lawyer with a garage full of classic cars.

Another row of houses later, I reached my own.

The door hadn't even fully closed behind me before I heard a ripping—

"JADE WEST—"

"Jesus!" The shout of my name made me jump in my own skin. Rounding the corner to meet me at the door was a face of maternal fury.

"Where have you been?"

"I already told dad: I went mini-golfing with Cat and her brother," I said as naturally as I could.

"Uh-huh. And then you told your father that Cat's brother would be dropping you off here. So I stayed up for hours waiting for you to come home last night, and when you didn't show up, I sent texts and tried to call you — no answer! And now here you are twelve hours later wearing someone else's clothes. What am I supposed to make of that?"

I hadn't thought about the clothes. The flannel shirt definitely fits in my new wardrobe, but it wasn't mine.

"Oh my God, Mom, we just went back to Cat's house. We were all tired and her house is closer to the mall, so I stayed and crashed the night there and borrowed some clothes to wear this morning. It's not that big a deal."

"It is a big deal! You can't say you'll be dropped off here and then never show up with no heads up! I've been worried sick — don't you get that?"

"My phone died! I couldn't have texted you even if I wanted to. What do you want from me?"

"I would like for you to be more responsible, Jade. I mean," she raised her shoulders and looked off to the side "maybe your Dad has the right idea after all. You've been so moody and disrespectful and distant lately. You don't look like the daughter I know— I'm still trying to get used to that— you don't act like the daughter I know—"

"Oh, you mean ol' Sweet Sally Peaches? Your spineless, compliant, and perfect little girl? She's long gone."

"And has been gone pretty much ever since going to Hollywood Arts."

Panic arose in me again. My tone shifted from resolved to desperate.

"Mom, no. That school isn't a 'bad influence' on me, or whatever Dad thinks. My friends get me there and they're real! I wouldn't have any real friends at Northridge." Even the school's name felt unwelcome in my mouth. "Besides. Has it not crossed your mind that maybe it's not Hollywood Arts that's turned me so bitter? It's not like you and Dad have exactly been 'perfect' influences either."