9

Jungkook pov

A bunch of nearby students had been eavesdropping the whole time they cut their eyes when I glared at them.

They were probably waiting for me and Park to fist fight one of these days Not that we hadn't come close a couple of times.

Hazel always got on my case for letting a beta get away with what Park did.

DeAndre would just shake his head, and Tristan was always tickled to death. It was just the way we were.

There probably wasn't much point in pulling alpha rank on him; it wasn't going to change the fact that we hated each other.

Besides, most of the time Park would back down while pretending he wasn't backing down, hence all the storming off.

Other times,taehyung subtly protected him.

In different circumstances, I might have liked Park, even been friends with him.

As much as I hated to admit it, he seemed like a good guy underneath all the alpha hate.

As much as I hated to admit it, just seeing him the past couple of days had made me hot.

Even worse, I kind of enjoyed his personality. What the fuck.

I went home that weekend. I wanted some of my A-Mom's home cooking and, full disclosure, my O-Dad's hugs.

I wouldn't even mind my little brother being the usual asswipe he was.

My old-school Challenger's engine roared as I climbed high in the hills to where my childhood home sat over looking the neighborhood,with a great view of the city.

As I came down the long, paved drive way, the sprawling white storybook-style house with brick accents and rust-red trim came into view.

As soon as I stepped in the door, mom's voice rang out from the kitchen.

"Kook? That you?"

"It's me, mom."

"Hey, slugger. I'm making lamb chops. Lots and lots of lamb chops. You're just in time to help."

She brought a huge butcher knife down on the meat, neatly separating the ribcage.

"Oh, my sweet little baby," she cooed as she wrapped me up in a tight embrace, rubbing her cheek against mine to scent me.

You would never think she was just hacking away at a rack of lamb like a serial killer.

"I'm not a little baby, Mom." I argued with her every time, but secretly I loved still being her baby.

"Jungkook, I love you, but you smell like a heat house." She wrinkled her nose and went back to her lambchops.

She forgot to make me help her, which made me breathe a sigh of relief.

I was a crappy cook and my mom would interrogate me about ALPHA activities and she "had ways of making you talk."

"It's not my fault, Mom."

She gave me a sideways look. "Sure it's not."

"It's not. All the ALPHAs in the house get a lot of traffic in and out of their bedrooms." She shook a bottle of reddish spice onto the lamb chops, tossing them in a huge silver bowl.

"And you're not one of them?"

"Of course not, Mom."

Well, I wasn't as bad as the others.

"Don't waste all the tuition money we're spending doing dumb crap, Son, please. Know what, you are in college so you have to get the dumb crap out of your system."

"Just keep them to a minimum, would you? Spare your poor mother's heart. Get your finance degree, preserve your liver, and keep it wrapped up so you don't bring home any babies outside of your mating bond."

"I won't, Thanks for this decidedly uncomfortable conversation."

"I'm your mother. It's my job to make you uncomfortable." I crossed my arms and tried to suppress a grin.

"You're doing a great job."

"I'm a great mother."

"Can't argue with that one." I wrapped my arms around hers, pinning them to her sides so she had to abandon her cooking.

She humored me because she loved hugs, but my much-smaller, middle-aged alpha mother could kick my ass if she wanted to.

"Speaking of your mating bond-"

"Mom," I moaned, letting her go, "can we not do this right now?"

"If not now, then when? I know you're still young, Jungkook, but finding your mate can happen at any time."

"If you don't pay attention, they could slip right by you. Then where would you be? I know where I'll be."

"Without any grandchildren."

It was the most important thing in a person's life to find their mate, of course it was.

I thought about it all the time and was starting to feel a pull to find The One.

Still, I was twenty-two and didn't see the need to rush.

_______________________________________________