Chapter 5

"Stay strong. Things will get better. It might be stormy now, but it can't rain forever."

Danielle woke up for school the next day, to her step-father still not home, in a way she was relieved. She goes into the shower, then puts on her uniform, and places concealer on her bruises to hide them. She makes her lunch, then throws away her mom's lit cigarettes, and heads to school. But then while she is walking over to school water splashes on her face. She rushes into the building and then tries to get to the bathroom quickly and discreetly, but then she is stopped by her best friend.

"What happened, to your face? Are you okay?", Ruth asks.

"Oh, that. It's nothing. I just fell.", Danielle reassures her friend.

They go to the classroom, as the day goes by. It is the 1st period after lunch, and Danielle is called into the main office.

"Danielle. Do you know why you were called in today?", the principal asks.

Danielle shakes her head, no.

"The bruises on your face have been brought to our attention And we are worried. Is everything okay at home?", the principal asks in a worried tone.

"Everything is fine.", Danielle says.

"We know about your mom's drinking, and how your stepfather is abusive. Tell me what's wrong.", the principal says.

Danielle gulps

"Everything is fine. I just fell.", Danielle says.

"Ok", the principal says.

"May I go now?", Danielle asks.

The principal nods her head, allowing her to leave. Then Danielle leaves the office and shuts the door. The principal then dials her phone.

"Hello. Is this child protective services?", the principal asks.

After the call, the child protective services tell her they aren't able to pursue a case.

AFTER SCHOOL

"Would you like to stay with me for a while?", Ruth asks.

"My stepfather would never go for it.", Danielle says sadden.

"My mother could talk to him. And if she somehow convinces him. Would you like to stay with us?", Ruth asks again.

"Sure!", Danielle says, smiling.

"We could have a sleepover today!", Ruth says causing Danielle to laugh. The laugh Ruth hasn't heard in a while. She has been best friends with Danielle since they were 5, and the most Danielle has ever laughed like that was when she was with her father. "My brother will pick us up, I just texted him.", Ruth says.

Danielle nods her head, then a car honks, and they get into the car driving to Ruth's house.

RUTH'S HOUSE

"Wow, this house, is amazing. How come I have never seen it?!", Danielle asks Ruth.

"Well, it is new. As you know my mother is a lawyer and my dad just became a doctor, so we had more money to buy it. Come I'll show you to your new room.", Ruth says, smiling. They go upstairs then Danielle sees a pink theme room, with an Angel on the ceiling, and beautiful curtains providing a better view of their backyard. Danielle smiles.

"Do you like it?", Ruth asks.

"Do I like it? Ruth, I'm fucking in love with it. Thank you so much." Danielle says, as she squeals, then hugs Ruth. "I love you.", Danielle says.

"I love you, too.", Ruth says smiling at Danielle. "You should see my parents."

They go downstairs, then make a left, where they open the door to the study hall.

"Mom, Dad. Danielle is here.", Ruth says to her parents, as they both look up to look at Danielle. A warm smile goes across Ruth's mom's face.

" Danielle it's so good to see you again. I'm so glad you are safe.", Ruth's mom says, then hugs Danielle. Ruth's dad hugs her, then whispers, "I'm so sorry about what happened to you. You can stay here as long as you want."

Danielle smiles. "It's so good to see you both,thank you for allowing me to stay here.", Danielle says. "Nonsense, you are family, of course, you are always welcomed to stay here", Ruth's mom says smiling at her.

I hope you liked this chapter. What do you think of Danielle living with Ruth? Will it last? Is it a good idea? Will Danielle's mother and stepfather find her there? Stay tuned to find out!