Chapter 39: Gratitude

"We have to go check on the others," (Name) spoke, crossing his fingers over one another to recall Ares and Aphrodite as Harue nodded in agreeance.

"I'm scouting the area first," Harue informed, hands hitting together as his shikigami formed beneath his feet, carrying him a bit into the sky. He glanced at the dead fields around him and huffed, turning to (Name) with an unamused expression. He extended his hand toward the h/c, a brow raised. (Name) blinked. "Well? Are you just gonna stand there or are you getting on?"

With a bit of hesitance, (Name) took the blond's hand as he was pulled onto the phantom that lifted high into the air. With unmatched speed, the shikigami rushed far into the distance.

Around 5 minutes of the fast travel took place before (Name) could see the forest, large roots covering a building a good distance away.

"This isn't part of the exchange event, is it?" Harue asked himself, "We should split up. That way we'll cover more ground."

(Name) nodded as the phantom lowered, allowing the h/c to jump down. Harue immediately took off, and (Name) pressed his hands against a nearby tree, brows furrowing. "Demeter!"

The light blue light crowded the area, the woman appearing as a chilly wind rushed by (Name)'s face.

Before the h/c could even continue, Demeter's brows furrowed and she turned toward him. "There's something nearby."

"What do you mean?" He asked, and Demeter crouched down, pressing her palm into the ground beneath her.

"A curse, perhaps," She spoke, "Come quickly. We must go now."

She pressed her hand against a tree, its branches suddenly growing as Demeter took a seat on a branch that extended toward her, (Name) following after the Goddess. The branch moved quickly, carrying the two as it swerved around different types of trees and vegetation before stopping right before an opening near some water. (Name)'s brows furrowed as he got off the branch, eyes landing on what looked like a cursed spirit, horns coming out of its head with some sort of defined markings on its body.

But its immense power caused his eyes to narrow.

A special grade? Here?

His eyes then turned to find the sight of Fushiguro hunched over with what looked like some sort of cursed technique sprouting out of his stomach, Maki being held by her throat with a root wrapped around her neck.

"Demeter!" (Name) called out to the Goddess, a sharp spike from the earth popping out of the water and cutting at the roots that held Maki, more roots popping out of the ground and grabbing the sorcerer, placing her beside Fushiguro. (Name) rushed out towards the two.

"Are you guys okay?" (Name) asked, concern evident in his voice as he eyed the curse that Fushiguro had been affected by.

"(Name)?" Fushiguro looked up at the male who bit at the inside of his cheek.

"Pretty good timing, (Name)," Maki coughed about.

(Name) was about to reply before a voice echoed through his head.

"Another one?"

(Name)'s eyes slightly widened as he turned toward the curse who was glaring at him.

Did it just... talk?

"What's a special grade doing here?" (Name) asked, eyes now fixed on the cursed spirit who was watching his every move.