2

I sit on the floor of my bathroom the next morning, feeling drained by yesterday - not necessarily the premiere itself, but from the foyer encounter that Chris and I had. To me it felt like the last goodbye, and was meant to be - however he failed to see it that way.

I glance to my phone and see his name appear on my screen again, underneath a partial part of the message he's sent me is there too.

Ever...you can't not talk to me, we've got more press to do. Look, can you please call or at least answer this message so that I know you're ok? We need to talk about this.

I exhale loudly and send him a message back. What is there to talk about? We said and did all we had to, and we shouldn't have done it.

You were the one who backed out.

Because you weren't going to fucking leave her! Do you know how bloody hard it was to watch you two yesterday? To even speak to her? For fuck sake Chris what is it you want from me?

I know I probably won't get an answer to this, but soon the message comes back with just a one word reply. You.

Tears stream down my cheeks. You didn't want me a year ago, so why now? It shouldn't have happened and even you said so yourself that it shouldn't, and I felt so guilty about being the 'other woman' that's why I did us both a favour and walked!

When I saw you again for the first time this week I realised that I made a mistake...Ever please...

I don't reply to him and jump at the knock on the bathroom door. "Ever! What are you doing in there? Are you ok?" Lucy's voice says through the wood that divides us.

I swallow to clear my throat. "Yeah...yeah I'm all good...just still feeling a bit blah!" I call back and splash my face with water to hide any evidence that I've been crying.

It's a wonder she hasn't clocked on about what happened or what's going on currently. The again part of me wonders if she actually does know and has chosen to turn a blind eye. She's my manager, she deals with literally everything.

Opening the door I walk out and smile. "Could just be a bit of a bug I've caught or something".

"Shit, are you ok?"

"Oh yeah, fine, just a little yucky but I'll be fine". I tell her and see her face. "Luce, I'll be fine for the UK premiere".

She looks a little relieved, "Good, because we've got a shit load of interviews and appearances lined up for you -It'd be crap if you missed them and the London premiere".

"I'll be fine" I promise her

And I will be. All I have to do is just smile through the pain - and hope to god that Chris doesn't bring Jenny along for that premiere, otherwise things will be harder than they were last night - especially now he's admitted he made a mistake.

I don't know what to do or what even I can say in this situation now.

"Ever...are you sure you're alright? Really?" Lucy eyes me suspiciously.

I don't answer because already my mind is taking me back to the moment that I first met the man who is causing me so much pain, and now I find myself back to the beginning of what would become the root of it all.

**

One Year Earlier

I walk into the room where the cast meet up is being held, Lucy by my side as she taps idly away on her phone, probably confirming more stuff for me.

I've recently been cast in a new film for Netflix called Knives out, and the director, Rian, has organised a cast meet up so we can all get to know one another before we begin filming in a few weeks.

I look around, spotting familiar faces such as Jamie Lee Curtis, and Ana de Armas (I've already met her as we had a read through together).

"Hey Ever, glad you could make it". Rian comes up and hugs me warmly. "Come get a drink and I'll introduce you to everyone".

I like him, he's come up with a great screenplay and I was already drawn in from page 1 - my character is a member of the Thrombey family, one of two daughters. She's a toxic bitch and I love roles like that. So far I've only ever played good girls who are all light and fluffy, but I don't want to be a stereotype. This will help that.

Lucy goes to take a call while I'm introduced to everyone, coming to a stop next to someone. "And you probably recognise Chris. Chris this is Everly". Rian says as he turned around.

"Heeey, nice to meet you Ever, can I call you that?" He asks as we shake hands. Already I notice the touch lingers longer than it would any other person.

I nod, "Ever's fine" and then we drop hands.

"Oh...British" he looks surprised and I smirk. It always seems to catch people off guard if they meet me for the first time.

"Yep...through and through". I say as I lock eyes with him, knowing I need to look away, and I do - instead focusing on the contents of my glass.

"Chris is our resident villain". Rian now explains.

"So I've read, gonna be different for you after playing a good guy for so long" I say and sip my drink, Rian now leaving us to talk.

He chuckles, his accent is even noticeable when he does that. "I need to break the mould, and this guy is it".

"I know how that feels, they've always given me 'good girl' roles but it's getting too samey for my liking".

"From what I read in the script you're the ultimate bitch". He smirks, "I think we're gonna make a good team".

"On screen or off?" I muse

He eyes me over the rim of his beer bottle. "How about both?"