24

Chris knocks on my hotel door one evening and I open it, seeing him stood there with his brother, also Scott, and his mum.

"Didn't think you'd be back yet". He says, these guys just wanted to say hi.

Scott immediately pushes past and hugs me. "So you're the famous Ever!"

"Oh god what's he told you?" I ask as Chris's mum Lisa now says hello to me.

"Bit of this, but of that - nothing bad!" He assures me.

Honestly if these two knew about what had happened between us then they wouldn't be giving me a greeting like this.

"He'd better not have, it's nice to meet you". I say and let them in. "Was just about to order room service".

"We're gonna head down to the restaurant if you wanna join us?" Lisa now says and looks at her boys who both start telling me I should come too.

"I don't wanna intrude". I politely decline. "It's family time for you guys".

Lisa throws me a look, "I've been stuck with these two all day, I need another woman to talk to".

"C'mon Evermore, it's one night". Chris now says and I note how he slips and calls me by my old nickname. Seems he notices this too as he looks away for a moment.

We said it would only be one night the first time we got things started Christopher - then look what happened.

"Fine. I'll come, Let me know when you're ready and I'll meet you down there". I say.

Chris nods, "see you down there, Scott, out Ever down, you'll see her soon anyway".

"What? I need more friends!" He wails as he's dragged out with Lisa just eye rolling.

Tonight is going to be the death of me.

**

"Did he ever tell you about the time he cracked my head over when we were kids?" Scott questions later over dinner and I hear Chris groan.

"Do you have to tell everyone about that? It was an accident?"

He's sitting next to me while Scott and Lisa are opposite. I feel my hand rest on his leg and give it a gentle squeeze before I sit back and sip my wine. "I mean, I knew he was a bad influence...I shrug and throw him a devilish side eye to which shakes his head out of dismay.

"I didn't mean to, I just gave him a little shove and the idiot fell back and hit the corner of the table".

"I could've died Chris!" Scott says dramatically.

Lisa is now the one shaking her head. "You boys, how the hell I ever put up with you is one thing".

"Oh and he used to make me cut school too".

"Stop ratting!" Chris mock glares as Lisa and I roar with laughter.

I try and calm myself, "it's even funnier because I can't take you seriously with the stache!" But I can't, and we all end up laughing about that too.
Once I finally manage to compose myself, I get up and head to the bathroom. I really have enjoyed tonight - Scott and Lisa are great to get along with (already the younger Evans brother is following me on Instagram), and it's probably the nicest dinner I've had in ages.

No drama.

Just good conversation and company.

As I go to round the corner to where our table is I can hear them.

And they're talking about me...

"Like I said, she's got a boyfriend..." I hear Chris say. "Nothing can come of it, we've been kinda down that road before and each time I screwed up. I'm not gonna mess up her life - it's not fair on her otherwise, on either of them".

"And you'd really be prepared to wait for her? What if the inevitable happens and she marries him?" Lisa asks kindly. 

"She's the only girl I've really felt anything properly for". I lean closer to listen to what he has to say. "If it meant even the slightest chance of getting to do things right? I'd wait for the rest of my life".

He'd wait for me...

He has just told his own mother and his brother that he would wait for me despite everything that could happen.

Oh shit...

I feel the tears prick the back of my eyes as I realise that everything pretty much rests on me. He's not about to venture into stealing me away from Scott, he's letting me decide what path I'm going to take, knowing that it could mean heartbreak for him.

My feet find themselves making their way up to my room
And I text Chris to say that I felt dizzy from too much wine and went to lay down. I transfer him some money to cover my meal even though he refuses it, but hey, I pay my way.

Chris 🐶: Moms worried, said she's got some aspirin if you need any? Scott said you're a lightweight 😏 X

Bless her, and tell him if he doesn't shut up then I'll re crack his head open 😂 I'm ok though - just need a lie down and an early night. Thank you though x

Chris 🐶: Rest up Evermore, will come check on you in the morning x

Maybe tonight will be the death of me after all...