6

Flashback - One Year Ago

"One mocha delivery". Chris comes into my trailer one morning, shades on, and pops the cup on the table in front of me - the words 'Ever after' scribbled onto the cup. He takes a sip of his own in the other hand.

"Bet the barista loved you" I smirk as I look at the name.

"I did say it wasn't for me, don't think he believed me though".

We hang out literally every time we're on set with one another. Most of his scenes are with Ana but even on his days off he comes down to watch what we're shooting and to keep me company. To say we've become firm friends is one thing, but every time I see him look at me, there's something behind his eyes. It gives away enough but not too much if that makes any sense.

We laugh. We joke, we take stupid selfies, we talk a load of shit about anything.

We have a connection...And I won't lie when I say it's like I've known him years, because that's how it feels.

I forget that he's taken sometimes, seeing that we're just goofing around and have become closer as the weeks have gone by. We're only halfway through filming and now I come to work every morning looking forward to having coffee and messing around before we begin the days schedule.

"One sec" He pauses as he now mutters something to himself and begins to text. His mood changes and I frown.

"You alright?"

He continues typing and then nods, going back to normal. "Yeah, yep all good - just had to get that out". Shoving his phone into his pocket.

I don't believe him but I choose not pry.

As we sit and wake ourselves up with the coffee his phone continues to go off. "You gonna get that?" I frown.

"I'll check it later..."

He's interrupted as one of the assistants pokes their head around the door and tells him that he's needed in wardrobe. As he gets up I see Jenny's name now calling. He's switched the phone to silent, and there's also text after text on there. Not knowing I've snuck a look, he puts it into his pocket again. "Cya in hair and make up". He says, grabbing the half drunk coffee.

"Chris..." I say as he gets to the door.

"Yup?"

He's not ok. I can see he's hiding something.

"You do realise that if you need to talk then I'm here...I mean you don't have to but I'm a pretty good listener, not that I listen in on conversations because that would be eavesdropping..." I stumble over my words, digging myself into a deeper hole with every single one that comes out of my mouth.

Oh Ever just shut the fuck up and let him go get his outfit on.  My mind screams.

He nods. "Yeah...I know..." and then he's gone without another word.

**

"Why did you call me here asshole?" I demand snootily, stopping on my mark on set and now shooting a glare to Chris as the scene rolls.

He thrusts the paper he's holding into my hands and simply snarls his line to me as directed. "Read it".

Yes sir...

Fuck I need to remember we're still rolling, he really does catch me off guard when he's in Ransom mode. It just goes to show how good he really is in this role. "I don't get it?" I shrug.

He spins around and looks furiously at me. "Got sent to me anonymously- Harlan's autopsy report. Note the pretty little message that they added".

I huff. "These are all numbers and words that are too big for me to understand, you seriously expect me to read it all?"

"C'mon Cress, even you're not that stupid enough to know what that means..." Chris smirks cunningly and I remain professional, even if off camera that would've turned me to a puddle.

Cressida is my characters name, Ransom's cousin to be precise and she's not exactly nice either. Just another spoilt Thrombey grandchild.

I consult the letter and then act trying to calm the rage that is building inside of me. "So you're saying you screwed up. Because that is what this is telling me?"

Chris now narrows his eyes. "I'm saying we need a plan B..."

"And cut!" Rian yells and grins. "Brilliant guys, we'll break for lunch here and see you back in about an hour or so?"

I make for my trailer while Chris hangs back to talk to his assistant, however he pokes his head around the door half an hour later. "Safe to enter?"

"Always is".

"Sorry about earlier, just some things I needed to sort out".

"Girlfriend trouble?" The words are out of my mouth before I can stop myself. "Sorry, you don't have to tell me".

"Kinda". He now sighs and sits next to me. "It's complicated"

I laugh gently. "Always is. Not sure what you're wanting whether it's from life or a person..."

His eyes go to mine. "That's what's complicated". The look is sincere.

"Which one?" I ask, feeling the atmosphere between us now suddenly change.

He doesn't answer, and my heart begins to pound as he leans in, lips brushing over mine while his hands cup my face.

"Ever, I...sorry..."

I forget there's someone waiting on him, because in the moment you never consider that, and I don't as I kiss him again. My hands run through his hair, and I feel him pull me astride his lap.

The thrill is that anyone could walk in and catch us.

His hands now slide under my top and cup my breasts. I can feel him harden underneath me.

In the end we pull away, breathless and both looking confused but satisfied...just.

"Can I see you tonight?" He now asks me, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear while I look down from my position on his lap at him.

He wants to see me, away from prying eyes, and I know exactly what he wants, because I want it too. I'm all but aching for him.

"Yes".