15

"So what is the deal with you and Evans anyway?" Henry asks me as he spies a picture of Chris and I on my Instagram. We're currently breaking for a reset on a scene and I sigh.

"That obvious eh?"

"It is when when your camera roll is full of you two - notices it the other day, so come on - spill" he smirks.

I sit there and contemplate for a few moments, wondering whether I should. I've known him for a while though and we're good friends.
Of course the rumour mill will always say I'm dating him or 'getting closer' to him. But there's nothing like that there. I'm allowed to have male friends but according the media I'm dating all of them.

"You're gonna lecture me, I can tell".

"So it is what I think it is then"

I now laugh, "I really can't take you seriously dressed like that".

"You're gonna have to". He narrows his eyes making them seem more menacing with the contacts in. "Spill it Wynter".

"Fine, back when we were filming Knives Out we were seeing one another, then when I saw him again at the premiere this year it kinda began again. He promised to leave his relationship, and he didn't..." I trail off.

Henry puffs out his cheeks and exhales. "Ok...did he say why?"

"No, but something didn't seem right to me. He was literally ready to go and break things off, then he just said he'd thought about it and that he had too much of a good thing going? He told me he loved me as well, can you believe that?"

Henry just smiles, "I can..." and sits back into his chair more, "so what theories have you come up with? As to why he called it off again?"

"The first one is that he is a total dickhead..."

"Reasonable"

"The second is that his girlfriend may have swayed him if he told her, maybe said something to not make him leave?"

"That seems more plausible". He nods, "does anyone else know about it?".

"Just his publicist and mine, oh and Lucy too".

Henry crosses his arms against his chest, "and what did they think about it all?"

I throw him a knowing look. "Of course they were all against it, I mean I didn't exactly set out to take another woman's man...but I guess I almost did..."

"And he told you he loved you?"

"Yeah".

The cogs in his mind are turning. "I think you're right about something not adding up. It just doesn't seem like him, I mean, you know him better than I do".

"It's not him" I insist, "he did the right thing the first time around but this time? He still loves me, I know he does, I could hear it in his voice".

Henry is thinking for a moment. "Ok, big brother advice. If he does love you then eventually he'll leave and find his way back to you".

"And until then?"

"Have fun". He pats my leg. "Have you spoken to him since the whole thing?"

"Not really, I said I'd be friends just to be adult about it all".

"That wise?" He grimaces

"Is if it keeps the peace. There's talk about them wanting us to work together again so I have to just swallow my pride and deal with it".

**

Christmas comes around and ponder whether to send Chris a text or not. I have done to everyone else to wish them a merry Christmas so I may as well.

Merry Christmas 🎄 Hope it's a good one. E

He probably won't message back but fuck it. This is me trying.

About five minutes later my phone pings and a message flashes up.

Merry Christmas Ev, hope you're well x

I'm not but I'm gonna lie to you anyway. All good here, how are you?

Glad to have some downtime, back to business after new year.

Same here

My fingers type I miss you and I pause, thumb hovering above the send button before deleting the words and putting my phone away.

I need more wine.