29

Chris and I lie tangled up in one another that night, Dodger asleep on his bed by the window. "I can't believe Megan wants to be my publicist". I say to him quietly in a slight daze.

The woman who told Chris to turn his back on me now wants to make up for her mistake. She doesn't agree with my treatment and made her point of saying that it would be easier to take,me on considering Chris and I are together. At least then if anything does break into the media about us then she can deal with it quickly and accordingly. I was apprehensive about her intentions at first but I really do believe she wants to rectify past mistakes.

And I can't keep living in that. Not when my future lies with Chris like it was meant to.

"She doesn't like how they were to you, she's protective of me and now she will be the same over you too. She's in your corner Ev, and will be for both of us". He kisses my head, toying with a lock of my hair.

"I just wish she had been before". I say, hearing his heart beat from where my head rests on his chest.

"I know, and so does she - but we can forget all that now, we're gonna focus on us".

"Do you think anyone will find out?"

He shakes his head, "not if we're careful, we can do this easily here, no one really bothers me and they won't with you, especially if, you want to take a break".

"Do you think I should?"

"What other projects have you got coming up?"

I think, "A final series of Downton, and something that I didn't tell you because nothing is set in stone, but Marvel approached me".

"They did?!" He sounds so proud of me that I now sit up. "What for?"

"They wanted me to voice Captain Carter for their 'What If' series. I was on the fence though, didn't really wanna jump into it until I'd thought about it, although I doubt they'll have me now considering I've told my ex manager to shove it up her arse" I laugh to myself lightly.

It's now his turn to sit up and he looks serious. "If they want you that badly then they'll keep on coming back and offering it".

"I think I'd feel a little weird about it considering Hayley is Peggy Carter, but she's apparently said she doesn't want to do it, hence why they've pitched it to me".

"Maybe, but it's 'What if' which means anything can happen". He says. I explain about the multiverse and things that was put to me in my meeting with them, and he listens intensely, nodding every so often. After I'm done he looks at me. "So what's stopping you?"

I shrug, "I don't know, pissing fans off, not being accepted, failing to meet expectations..." I begin to list off. "I know it's just a voice role, but to me it's a big thing. I want to do it right and I want to do it justice".

Chris rests himself back against the headboard and pulls me back with him. "I turned down Cap loads of times before I finally said yes" he tells me, "I had the same concerns, maybe more, I was scared - but saying yes was the best thing I ever did - sometimes you've gotta jump, but you've gotta remember you won't please everyone".

Dodger now jumps up onto the bed and pushes himself between us. Chris grains. "Forgot to tell you that there's gonna be a third wheeler here for the most part" and now turns his face away chuckling as Dodger tries to lick it.

"Third wheel he may be, but he's a cute one. I'll accept that" I grin and snuggle against Dodger. "Bunking down with us tonight?" I ask and he licks my hand. "Least you'll keep us warm when it gets colder".

"I'll warn you now, he's gonna be lying across us come morning".

I snuggle into Chris more and close my eyes. "I'd rather that than wake up alone".

I've spent way too many nights lying in bed, wishing, wanting, wondering. It was lonely. Okay, with Scott it was different but even then my mind was still on Chris. But now I feel relaxed, free from my toxic management and hopefully on the climb to somewhere better.

"I'm not gonna let you wake up lonely again, Evermore. I promise". Chris whispers to me, pressing his lips to my forehead once more. The goosebumps rise on my skin, his ability to make me weak still strong. It won't ever change though. The two words we always say now being whispered into my ear once again. Thinly two that give me hope that everything will all be ok and it will work out.

The two words that, at the moment, are making me feel safer than ever".

"Just us".