𝟎𝟏𝟐 ════ 𝐔𝐧𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐞

Elena had thankfully arrived safely from Atlanta when Damon had basically kidnapped her

Elena had thankfully arrived safely from Atlanta when Damon had basically kidnapped her. Estella had half expected Elena to arrive in pieces because who knew with the older Salvatore? He could have had her for dinner, for all she knew.

Estella had also received shocking news from Elena's end. Elena was adopted.

Growing up, Miranda and Grayson Gilbert were very kind people. There was no way, Estella could tell, that Elena wasn't their daughter because she was the apple of her parent's eye. Their love for Jeremy and Elena was equal, so it was a shocking development.

Estella also told the eldest Gilbert about her being a siphon and all in all, Elena took it really well. Elena said that she didn't care about her being a siphon and stated that having a witch and siphon best friend was oddly cool.

"It's so pretty." gushed Caroline taking the necklace Elena gave her. Stefan had given her an idea to put vervain in or on everyone, saving them from compulsion. "Thank you. God, it'll go with, like, everything. What's the occasion?" She asked, a big smile gracing her lips, as she admired the silver heart-shaped necklace that hung around her neck.

"No occasion. Just a little friend gift." 

All three of them made their way to a table to eat their lunch and Estella placed all of her books down on the wooden table.

"Lesbian friend necklace? Cause we're freaky like that?" asked Caroline with a wink as all three of them chuckled.

"Your friendship is important to me," said Elena, picking out her lunch and placing it in front of her tone becoming more serious.

"To us," corrected Estella.

"Why are you being so mushy?" asked the blonde Forbes with an eyebrow raised.

Estella knew exactly where this was going. The blue-eyed Forbes and Matt had started to become closer and closer and Caroline felt weird and guilty for hanging out with Elena's ex. The brunette could tell both of them liked each other, but Caroline was a little afraid to go further, afraid of Elena's opinion.

"Because you've been avoiding me," Elena spoke up, and Caroline looked at her with a slightly guilty expression, "and I wanted you to know that whatever is going on with you and Matt, it's ok."

Caroline opened her mouth and hesitated before continuing. "I was gonna talk to you about that. I was, but there's just not much to say. You know, we've hung out a couple of times. That's it," The blonde shrugged and Elena listened understandingly. "but...I just feel like we've peaked as friends." Elena nodded. "This is weird. I shouldn't be talking to you about this. It's weird. It's weird, right?" rambled Caroline, her stomach fretting with nerves and Estella let out a giggle.

"It's a little weird, " admitted Elena with a laugh. "but if it's what you and Matt want, then it's not about me."

"But it's all about you. Matt's not over you, and we all know it."