𝟎𝟏𝟖 ════ 𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐂𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐥

ELENA HAD FINALLY told Jeremy that she was adopted. Much to her surprise and happiness, Jeremy accepted her readily which Estella had obviously been expecting. Blood didn't matter in a bond made with love, she told herself.

But with the good news; which made Estella's heart flutter in happiness, she also felt a heavy weight on her chest.

She felt unexplainable guilty for Matt, and for the whole funeral. Guilt was like an ocean and she was drowning in it, her chest flaring up with pain and regret, every time she thought of Vicki, the oxygen was leaving her lungs, and the heavyweight was keeping her down, the water slowly finding a home in her.

Every time she looked at Matt, she resisted the urge to flinch. She felt like a murderer; a liar; and all horrible things in the universe. The brunette hadn't killed the eldest Donovan, she convinced herself and yet every time she saw Matt and couldn't blurt out who the killer was, something inside her died.

"He said his trip is open-ended," said Elena in annoyance, and Estella stood beside Matt, in front of his locker. A flicker of guilt flared in her chest, as Matt opened his bag. She felt so utterly hopeless and horrible, and she couldn't understand how Elena, Stefan and Damon could go on with their lives acting like Vicki never existed.

That she didn't die because of them.

"Uncle John, I never really liked that guy." spoke up Matt, shoving his books messily into the locker.

"Does anyone?" asked Estella, hugging her books closer to her chest, as a look of distaste crossed her features. Matt let out a laugh.

Uncle John had always been a little bit of a jerk. He had strong opinions and would defend them resulting in a lot of arguments in the Gilbert household. Estella still remembered when Elena had called her late at night, crying about the shouting and banging; the sounds of the furniture being ripped into two she heard between the adults.

So he was a bit of a trauma giver too.

"I'm here for moral support if you need me," reassured Matt with a charming smile.

"Thanks," said Elena, a smile gracing her features. "I think I'll suffer this one alone; you've been through enough." She added softly and Matt sighed. Estella pursed her glossed lips, sending him a reassuring look.

"Thank you by the way," Matt breathed out. "for just. . .for everything you did at Vicki's funeral and the memorial. I couldn't have done it without you. Both of you." He sent them a look, patting the girl's arms softly.

Estella had felt so guilty, that she had decided to look over things, and ensure that the funeral could go smoothly. Kelly and Matt had been a mess, and Matt had numbly thanked her repeatedly. The brunette had stood at Vicki's gravestone, a tear rolling down her cheek, and she knew that no matter what she did, things would never be alright.