Thirty-Four: She's mine

Melissa comes back tonight.

The reminder on my phone feels like a slap in the face. I've liked being here alone. The constant unease I felt was gone, and I could actually relax when I was in the house but nothing good lasts forever. I try my best not to spiral while I clean in preparation for her return.

I could barely stay focused in class, my mind is reeling as I imagined the best and worst case scenario of Melissa's return.

The day moves by slowly. It feels like hours until it's time to go home. I barely even acknowledge Dustin as I practically run off campus. When I pick up Faith, I hold her closely, her small body bringing much needed comfort for my nerves

At the house, I try to stay focused on my homework. It's hard when all I can think about is when Melissa will be back. I'm constantly checking the time. Listening for cars.

When the door slams loudly, my heart plummets. Of course rehab didn't work. She'll never get sober. I doubt she even went to rehab. It was probably all a lie.

I'm shocked to see Todd sitting at the dining room table when I come downstairs. My blood runs cold at the sight of him, and I know tonight will take a turn for the worst.

I try go back upstairs unnoticed, but he sees me before I can.

"Don't." He says, the command makes me stop in my tracks. His voice is grave and even. I turn to face him, deciding having my back turned to him is probably not smart. He is standing, his eyes trained on Faith who I hug closer to me. His facial expression is calm. Too calm. Unreadable. It gave me goosebumps.

He steps towards me and I take a step back.

"I can't believe I never saw it." He laughs dryly. "That bitch is nothing if not a good liar. For a whole year, I thought she was yours." His eyes move to my face and he looks utterly pissed. "You're just as bad as that cunt. Lying to me about my own daughter. That's my fucking baby."

In a blink of an eye, he's standing right in front of me, his grip firmly on my arm as he yanks Faith out of my hold. I scream, lunging at him, but he knocks me down. Faith is crying, her brown eyes filled with fear.

"It's okay my sweet baby. Daddy's here." His words make my blood boil. Faith cries louder, fear on her face. He looks at me. "Tell that bitch Melissa that I'll see her in court." He turns to leave but I jump up, clambering on his back, hoping to catch him off guard. I don't know what exactly my plan is but I can't let him take Faith. I just can't.

The odds seem to be in my favor as he stumbles forward.

"Get off me you psycho whore!" He shouts, spinning around and slamming backwards into the wall. I groan at the impact, but I hold on. He elbows me in the side and I cry out in pain, still holding firm. As he flails, trying to get me off, he loses his grip on Faith and I watch in horror as the baby falls towards the floor.

I cry out as she hits the ground, her loud wails making me feel nauseous. I let go of Todd, rushing to the crying baby, and cradling her to my chest, sobbing as I try to calm her down. She doesn't seem badly hurt, just scared, but I can't be sure.

The feeling of something hitting my head makes my vision go hazy. I shakily reach a hand up to my head and gasp when I see blood on my fingertips.

"She's mine!" Is all I hear before everything goes black.

****
The sound of my name being called is distant and hazy. The voice continues, telling me to please wake up, and slowly my eyes focus, clearing up until finally... I can make out Melissa's face.

"Thank God!" She breathes out. I stare at her, feeling confused until the events come tumbling back into my mind.

I sit up abruptly.

"Woah," Melissa steadies me. "Take it easy."

Where is Faith?

I feel tears roll down my face and I aggressively wipe my eyes. Shrugging Melissa off, I stand up and my body sways.

Melissa steadies me. "You were unconscious. We should get you to a hospital."

I shake my head, hastily trying to find a pen and paper, moving woozily around. I grab a random book and pen, jotting down what had happened. I shove the paper in Melissa's face, my chest tightening and my breathing becoming more labored.

Did he take her? I hasitly write down, my pen marks messy.

Melissa nods and I sink down to the floor, pulling my knees to my chest and crying.

He has my baby.

"Yea..." Melissa says lamely, sitting next to me and pulling me into her chest. She has a look on her face that I can't quite place. "That mother fucker," she mumbles. "I'll get her back. Don't worry."

I nod, feeling like the world was closing in on me.

Please let her be okay.