Chapter Thirteen

Wesley's P.O.V.

"Liz." Audrey croaked out, obviously relieved to have at least one of her best friends wake up.

I just sat there, on the edge of Lizzy's hospital bed, giving Audrey some space. This must have been a very important moment for her, and I wasn't going to be the one to ruin it. Instead, I walked up to the female doctor, asking, "Is there any hope for the others to wake up?"

"Darling, I would tell you if I knew. There is always hope...you must pray for your friends." She told me, gripping my hands in her firm grip, like a mother telling their child something very important.

"How do you do it?" I asked curiously, removing my hands from her grip.

"Do what...my job?" She questioned, raising one eyebrow, causing the wrinkles on her forehead to appear clearer than before.

"Yeah. How do you deal with all the patients that die? I could never imagine, all the guilt..." I silently whispered, shuffling my feet into a comfortable standing position.

"Well, you know that you're helping people. You try the best you can, yet sometimes in the end, there is nothing left you could possibly do. You pray for them and their families. They're up in heaven doing all the things they could only dream of." She concluded, giving me a pat on the back and a weak smile.

I left the doctor alone, to check on Christina and Bernadette, while I slowly walked over to Audrey. She now had a smile spread across her face, something I haven't seen in quite a while. Lizzy was sitting upright, looking much better than before.

"Hey Wes!" She chirped, giving me a slight wave of her hand.

I gave her a nod in response and asked, "How are you feeling, do you remember anything?"

"Not much. I remember bright lights, and the sound of a car honking...next thing I knew, everything went black-" She murmered, as if deep in thought. " I woke up to the sight of you and Audrey sitting on my bed...besides, I thought you two weren't getting along too well?" She trailed off, waiting for one of us to explain.

Audrey giggled, shooting a glance in my direction. "I guess we've worked things out. I think it's safe to say he's become a good friend of mine." She answered, smiling at me.

Odd enough, this made me smile too. Her smile was so damn contagious...she looked so much prettier when she was happy. One day, I was going to be the reason for that smile.

"Huh, that's good, at least you two aren't bickering about each other." Lizzy mentioned, with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Yeah." Audrey and I simultaneously answered back. We suddenly both looked at each other, then cracked up laughing at how ironic this all was.

"You guys are too cute..." I heard Liz mutter, making both mine, and Audrey's cheeks heat up in embarassement.

"Anways, how are Christina and Bernadette doing? Will they wake up?" Lizzy eagerly questioned, her eyes growing wide with anticipation.

Audrey sighed, "We honestly don't know. It's been a couple days since you guys got into the car crash. We can only hope they'd wake up." Lizzy's head dropped at the unsurness in Audrey's voice.

"Talk to them. Something in me clicked when I heard your voice...it brought me back to reality." She reasoned, using actions to get her point across.

"That's not that bad of an idea actually." Audrey mentioned, walking over to Christina's bed.

"You know what to do." I whispered into Audrey's ear before she began Christina's wake up call.