Chapter Eighteen

Audrey's P.O.V.

She's gone. That's it, that's all there is to it. Sounds so simple...yet it's so difficult to comprehend.

Wesley slid towards me, his fingers grazing over my wet cheek. There was silence, neither of us had said a word. I liked it better that way, since there was nothing to be said. I could hear my sobs of agony echoeing around the hospital room. The only sound that occupied it.

I stood up from Bernadette's bed, roughly wiping my tears away. "NO!" I yelled.

From the corner of my eye, I could see Wesley scrambling up, obviously surprised from my sudden outburst.

"This wasn't supposed to happen! She wasn't supposed to die. She was too young..."

I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down, crawling on my hands and knees like the depressed girl I was.

I felt a pair of strong arms lift me up so I was standing again. "Please, don't torture yourself like this. You don't deserve it....Bernadette wouldn't want you to go through all this. I'm sure of it. Think of it this way...She's up in heaven, singing with the angels. She'll be waiting for you, when it's your time. Until then, I'm sure god will take great care of her, Audrey. Believe me."

I smiled, looking into his eyes. My gaze then dropped down to his hand, as I was entwining his fingers in mine.

He truly was perfect. Right now, I think he's the only one who could get me through this. He was the only one who really understood what I was going through, even though he might not have endured the same thing, he was trying. He really was.

I spared one more glance at Bernadette's still body. She was pale, looked much like a ghost to me. Her eyes were shut tight, and her hands crossed over her chest.

After a quick mental debate with myself, I chose to go over and sit with her one last time. I gently layed my hand over both of hers, acting as if she would wake up any moment and scold me for waking her up. Unfortunatly, this was impossible, and even I knew that. The logical side of my brain really did crush my dreams, more often than I had realised...

I kissed her forehead lightly, and whispered "I love you."

I guess this was goodbye. I turned back around, and ran into Wesley's open arms. I nuzzled with him, trying to forget where I was, and what just happened. I knew I had to let go eventually though....I don't think Wesley would like some sad girl clutching onto him for dear support for the rest of his life.

Okaay, so maybe I was exaggerating, just a little.

I pulled away from his warm grasp, trudging outside the hospital, for what hopefully would be the last time. I sighed, a deep rumble of despair. 

Looking over at Wesley, I could see him smiling down at me, his eyes twinkling in amusement. "Why are you smiling?" I asked, completely dumb struck.

"So, suddenly it's a crime to smile in a sad situation? How else would you get over your grief? You can't let it get to you, these types of things happen all the time, to many different people who don't deserve any of it." He whispered, clutching my shoulders, trying desperately to get a reaction out of me.

I felt him inhale sharply. "I have an idea!" he exclaimed, his finger shaking as he mentally accepted his thoughts."Come with me!" He said, sending me running along with him as he tugged my arm.

"Whoa Wes! What are you doing?" I yelled, trying to slow him down.

He abruptly stopped, making me collide into his backside.