21 | Who Dies First

Marilyn's teeth clattered with her nails in between them and her feet were occupied pattering on the floor whilst she clomped away to the exit when Viola swiftly blocked her way. "Good evening aunt, may I ask why are you in the palace?"

Marilyn held Viola's forearms, exhaling as her lips curved down. "Your Highness wants to fix the Prince's marriage with Priscilla and I agreed. Now I'm clueless about how to tell her this."

Viola gasped and pulled away, her friend was getting married to the Prince and she wasn't even aware then her brows puckered in perplexity.

Priscilla met the Prince earlier. Was it because of this?

She smiled anxiously at the tricks and schemes of Priscilla and swung her head. "Don't worry, aunt, I'll handle that."

When Priscilla pushed the unbolted door of her house, Viola plunged a sharp pin into a purple balloon, causing it to burst as Priscilla recoiled at the noise. "You are getting married!"

"Yah!" Priscilla launched a slap on Viola's forearm and she winced. "What are you doing, idiot?" Viola leaned forward in response and whispered malevolently. "Don't behave with me like this or else," Priscilla furrowed, pulling her face away to glimpse at Viola wiggling her brows.

"I'll tell aunt that you came to the palace earlier." Priscilla eyed Marilyn treading tentatively, and she knew she had to display emotions.

The news of marriage was manifest to her, but they weren't aware of it. "What?" She hung her jaw, smacking her lips, and rushed to her mother. "I'm getting married?" Priscilla jabbed a finger at herself, arching her brows. "With whom, mom, I mean, how and when?"

"Our Prince, Hudson Smith. They wanted to fix this marriage." Viola tiptoed, chiming in their conversation. "And after three days." Priscilla didn't get the time to widen her eyes in the masquerade of shock when the ship bell of their house was struck and struck until Marilyn unbolted the door in panic.

Gem wrapped her arms around Marilyn and giggled, swinging her in her embrace. "Oh my, oh my!" Gem placed the posy in Marilyn's hand and cocked her head to a side, gazing at the bride-to-be. "Priscilla, you are getting married."

Priscilla knitted her brows and Viola attempted to prop her elbow on Priscilla's shoulder, but failed as she was much taller. "How do you know?" Gem slithered to her and ruffled her hair. "Everyone does. The King and Queen just announced it." She twirled and apologised for her behaviour with a penitent smile, but Marilyn simply shook her head. "So, I will be the bridesmaids."

Viola flicked her fingers, scowling falsely. "No way. I'm going to be the bridesmaids." Gem pouted in affinity and patted her shoulder. "Elders rule here Viola and I'm elder, so listen to me. I'll be the bridesmaids and you'll be the flower girl." Viola dropped the conversation, rolling her eyes, and Gem raised her hand to slap her shoulder playfully, but Viola walked out of her reach. "I will go now. Have a good day, Priscilla, aunt and Viola."

Priscilla held her wrist. "Why? Stay a little." Gem smiled and slid her hand off her wrist. "I have a very, very important work to do and if I don't go now, then I won't be able to attend your wedding."

Gem had taken an additional print of Terry's letter that she had received by Clarke on her wedding day. The carriage wobbled once and twice, churning her stomach till she reached the station house. She was aware that Terry was killed. Now he wouldn't leave a letter, promising to her marry her after he comes back from wherever he had gone to and kill himself as well as bury a coffin in the backyard of her eatery.

He was killed. And being the only person Terry ever had in his life, it was Gem's responsibility to report it to the cops.

She bowed to the officer who erected his spine, puffing his chest. He bobbed his head and Gem sat on the chair. "Good evening, officer, I want to file a report of Terry, a famous author and my dead finance."