Therapy Session 001

RAENI

RAENI

"How are you doing? I know you may be new here but you can trust me." The man infront of me clarified.

He sat down in a chair, one leg crossed over the other. He held a clipboard in his hand and clicked a pen with his other. I sat on the cold sofa, my body tense and uptight. I played with the bracelet my husband bought me that wrote the words my sunshine.

He tugged his white coat further on him, also induring the cold air blowing through the open vents. Our eyes connected and he smiled at me. His eyes light up when he smiles.

"Okay I see you're a bit hesitant. You don't mind if I start my lunch early?" He reaches over to his lunch bag just on the side of his chair.

My head pounds even more with an ache to leave.

"Ms Thomas, if I may, why did you decide to come here?" He bites down on the rice cake as if we were friends and having a casual conversation.

I twist the diamond ring on my finger and fight the urge to correct him on my last name. I'm on a stance here and I'm not backing down. As soon as that thought appeared in my mind, I thought of him and the promise I made.

That I'd atleast try it out. I don't believe in therapy, sharing your memories and dark secrets with a professional that you met a amere five seconds ago. Their sofas are always comfortable and they have the wood smell that was meant to relax people but it only heightened my senses. My back hasn't relaxed once and the ring on my finger was going to burn through my skin if I turned it around once more.

"You can take your time-" He gets interrupted by the door opening. A young woman popped her head through.

"I didn't know you had a patient." She glanced at me again. "A normal looking one."

"We need to control your urges, Dr Carter." He looks back at her and motions her inside. She opens the door fully, not coming inside but standing by the door.

"I wanted to ask for Castillos file."

He motions to her to get the file. He doesn't ask any questions or watch her. She glances at me more curiously and I feel small under her gaze. She looks so much younger than me yet I'm the one being scoped through a microscope.

"Where are my manners?" Dr Charles chuckles. "Mrs Carter, meet Ms Thomas."

I cringe at the wrong surname being used and fiddle with my ring again.

"Hi!" She waves and places a hand on Dr Charles shoulder.

"I'm returning a favor for an old friend. Therapy." He smiles up at her as if the idea were a joke. She laughs with him and nods her head remembering the joke.

"We all know how that went. I really do hope he's okay." Her laughter ceases and she pats his shoulder. Her stare directed to me as she crutches the file against her chest. "Have fun with this one. He's a real..."

"Handsome old fella?" He finishes for her and she shakes her head with a small smile.

After she left, I cleared my throat. I couldn't look at him as my mouth opened and words fell out.

"Raeni, no need for the formality." I try to relax into the seat.

"Are you ready to start?"

"Yes." I sigh and relax my hands onto my lap. He grabs the clipboard once again and flips through the papers.

"Let's start with Derek, shall we?"

I took a deep breath, pushing aside my hesitation and keeping the promise I made to him about trying.

"Derek and I were married for five years, pretty young." I note because everyone would gasp at a couple marrying at nineteen.

"And how was the married life?" He presses a finger to his lips, keeping his chin up with his thumb.

My blood runs cold when I remember Derek and everything we've been through.

It seems like just yesterday he promised not hit me anymore. It's shocking how lies can be wrapped in beautiful promises, beautiful empty promises.