❦︎ My Memories ❦︎

RAENI

RAENI

The day was bright and the day was rather humid. I was sitting outside with my mama. We were wearing our matching swimsuits, pink with cute little frills, and drinking our favourite soft drink. The sand on the beach irritated my legs but I was sitting outside with my mom so I didn't care. I sat it out just to spend time with my mama.

She had the latest magazine right next to her, opened up to the new issue of What's Hot and What's Not? That week it was thin eyebrows. According to the journalist, it was not hot. I giggled while scanning through the page.

Mama awoke to my giggle and asked me what I was reading and I showed it to her. While the waves were crashing onto the shore, the sun shone onto our legs, warming them up. I felt the salt in the air and took a deep breath in. Mama attacked me with kisses and hoisted me up. She ran with me into the water and we both laughed as the salty sea water entered our ears and washed away the hot sand particles from our bodies.

Mama reached her hand out to me for help up but I refused because I knew she would pull me down with her.

It's been this way for years. Ever since I was born. Mamas old boyfriend, my dad, left mama as soon as she announced she was pregnant. We don't know where he is, we don't care. Mama made it her duty to make sure she was both my dad and mama and she never failed. I loved her with everything in me. She was my mama. We grew to be inseparable and she treated me both like her daughter and her best friend. She was all I ever needed.

A large hand reached out beside mama and helped her up. A tall man wearing yellow swim trunks smiled at her and she smiled back before letting his hand go. I walked near her, careful not to let the tall man draw his attention to me. He unfortunately saw me and smiled down at me as well. Mama placed a hand on my shoulder and rubbed it comforting like. I looked up at her and she was already looking at me. I noticed it's because the tall man said something.

He thought me and mama were sisters, that she looked too young to have children. Mama excused herself and took me with her. She never explained to me what happened. I think this was the moment everything went wrong. Everything went the direction I never wanted it to go.

Mama stopped sharing everything with me. She stopped hanging out with me by the beach until late. Soon enough, the tall man was occupying all of her time. He was her new best friend. They'd come back to our home and whisper to each other. I still always slept with mama but when she started to smell sour on some days and tell me all about my dad, I went and slept in the room I never used but always called mine.

I took care of mama nonetheless, even though she was old enough. On her bad days, I would sit with her while she cried, I would hold her head against my tiny chest and sing to her. I would show her my paintings. I would draw for her, anything to keep her from letting those tears down her face. Anything for her smile.