Insurrection

The morning had started out with so much potential, so many opportunities to make their lives just a little easier, and another day to go searching for Sophia... until Glenn told them about the barn being full of walkers. That one sentence turned everything upside down and they went from enjoying their breakfast to standing outside the large outbuilding, where the moans could be heard coming from the other side of the padlocked door. Made a lot more sense why Hershel had insisted they stay away from it and why the chickens had started to dwindle, it wasn't difficult to piece together that if he was housing them that he was more than likely feeding them too.

Shane was livid and for once June didn't blame him for his reaction one bit. This was a safety hazard and depending on how many they had inside, it was only a matter of time until they got loose. The barn was already not in the best shape and they'd dealt with walkers busting through doors and plexiglass to get to food. There was a lot of arguing on how to handle this situation and more than just Shane voted for leaving but there were multiple reasons to stay, Sophia being the big one and the only one that was keeping Daryl here. Normally he'd grab his sister and go but he promised June and Carol that he'd find Sophia and it was time to get back to searching.

"We can't just go!"

"Why Rick? Why?"

"Because my daughter is still out there."

"Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility."

"Shane! We ain't leavin Sophia behind." June was sort of on Shane's side this time but she wasn't going to leave without Sophia.

"Who died and put you in charge?"

"You if ya ain't careful!"

"June, Shane. Enough!"

Rick had been playing peacekeeper throughout his friendship with Shane and it was exhausting. It wasn't that he thought June couldn't handle herself but more that he was genuinely concerned about what Shane would do when he got his ass handed to him.

The Dixon sister wasn't the only one with strong opinions on Sophia and her brother was right behind her with another reason for them to stay. "I'm close ta findin this girl. I just found her damn doll by the creek."

"You found her doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll."

"You don't know what the hell you're talkin about!"

"I'm just sayin what needs ta be said. You get a good lead, it's in the first 48 hours."

"Shane, stop."

"I dunno Rick, might be kinda fun ta watch my brother whoop his ass."

"June not helping!"

"No, ya know what? Let me tell you somethin else, man. If she was alive out there and saw you comin all methed out with your buck knife and geek ears around your neck, she would run in the other direction!"

That did it, set off the Dixon temper and if Rick and Dean hadn't separated them, Shane would be missing some teeth. June supported shit up to a point and that point began and ended with her brother, something Shane knew all too well and still chose to fuck with. Now, instead of her backing him on taking care of the walkers, she would argue for whatever Rick decided just to be petty. So when he told everyone that he had to talk it over with Hershel first, making the very good point that this was his land and not theirs, she jumped in with a 'very good point Rick' simply to piss Shane off.

"Hershel sees those things in there as people, sick people. His wife, his stepson."

"You knew?"

"Yesterday, I talked to Hershel."