Chapter Five

When we reached the top of the stairs, we were met by two men guarding a tall and heavy wooden door. Upon Ahab's signal, they unlocked it, pressing it aside to reveal a lengthy hallway. An extravagant ceiling arched high above our heads while guards with spears in their hands and swords at their hips manned every corner. The stone walls were lined with golden decorations crafted into every wild beast the mind could think of, from a two-headed wingless dragon to a massive bear as well as what I assumed to be a griffin from legend. (I had a feeling in Arwick this creature was most likely as real as I was.)

A faint sound of music could be heard as we made our way down the hall. Up ahead were two towering doors with heavy ring-shaped handles the size of my head. With each step we took toward the door, the music became more prominent, blending with the sounds of muffled laughs and indistinct conversations.

With another wave of Ahab's hand, another guard immediately moved toward the doors and began pulling them open. The room was magnificent to behold. Large golden pillars towered above our heads before reaching a ceiling made of pure white stone with specks of gold that twinkled like a million stars. Along the walls were brightly lit torches dangling on golden brackets. Though the flames were not large enough to light a room of such great size, the amount that sat almost every five feet or so did the job quite well. The floor was a dark stone with a large maroon carpet that lay underneath three extravagant thrones. The one in the center was the tallest. It was made of gold and seemed to be outlined with large rubies. The one to the right was a close second in height, made of silver with one large emerald at the top. The last, being the shortest, was made of brass, with words inscribed on the headrest that I could not make out from that distance.

The music was lively as three women performed a dance in unison, in perfect rhythm to the instruments being played by three men standing in the farthest corner from me. The women moved seductively around a large table, just to the left of the thrones, where four men now sat. Three other tables were perfectly aligned and placed about ten feet in front of the thrones, with at least twelve men and women at each table. They all stuffed their faces with various foods as some spilled the contents of their goblets with every aggressive drink they took. Their wild movements and maniacal laughter had me under the assumption they were all drunk, save for the four men I'd noticed first.

The four men began to rise as we made our way across the room. Their eyes seemed to be fixed on me. The one who appeared to be the youngest narrowed his brows before walking toward us. His golden armor seemed to stand out against his caramel-toned skin. Taking in his medium complexion, dark hair, and almost black eyes, I realized just how much he resembled Ahab.

As we began to pass the tables, the men and women raised their goblets above their heads, causing red liquid to spill from their cups. With slurred speech, most of them shouted out, "Hail, King Ahab!"

"Who is this woman you bring to our court, Father?" the young man, who looked about thirty, asked.

"Ahaz, I bring a new champion to our trade! Have a maid bathe her and fit her in proper armor, then return her to our private quarter. This is no mere human girl. She is fairy."

His eyes moved up and down my skin curiously, and I knew they were searching for my markings, before Ahaz formed a small blade from smoke. He held it toward me as I instinctively jolted back, only to be jerked into place by Ahab's firm grasp on my arm.

"If what you say is true, then who has concealed her?" he said, reaching for my arm. I tensed, wanting to pull my hand from his touch, as a smirk began to form on his lips. His eyes met my own, and I instantly began to shiver, like the Divinity within me sensed the darkness within him.