Chapter Eleven

The two men I'd seen with Agatha before still sat uncomfortably on the floor as we passed. Their heads raised when we reached them, and they eyed my markings inquisitively. I knew that fairies had managed to escape, and to these people it was like the way I had felt seeing Aasim for the first time, something I never thought would happen in my lifetime.

"Pay little attention to them, Addisyn. They have never been instructed in the ways of manners," Agatha said as she glared at them both.

"How many fairies have you seen?" one of them spat while the other punched his shoulder.

"If he hears you speak and I am lashed because of it, I will toss you into the dragon pit myself."

Jerking my head around at his words, I stared at him nervously. "Please tell me I don't have to fight a dragon."

They both looked to the ground defeatedly without saying another word. Realizing I wasn't going to get an answer, I turned to Agatha before whispering, "Am I going to fight a dragon?" We were almost to the map room when I asked, distraught, remembering John's words. Dragons had immense speed and were extremely hard to kill.

"The dragon is as much a prisoner as I, and King Ahab's control over him is used to maintain his order in this land. For none will challenge a ruler that controls a dragon."

Her answer surprised me. That a dragon could be anyone's prisoner seemed impossible, but I hadn't been granted enough time to obtain further explanation.

As we stepped into the map room, three guards were standing beside Aziel. Like me, he'd been dressed like royalty. His tunic was black, and the threading on his chest was loose, revealing an old scar. Over the tunic was a long flowing black coat that lightly touched the ground. His black pants were tucked inside black leather boots that slouched over his calves. Silver cuffs were fitted over the sleeves of his coat, reaching his forearms, while his hands were covered in black leather gloves.

"You are as beautiful as the dawn, Addisyn." Aziel told me.

One of the guards raised his sword, pressing it firmly against Aziel's back. "You are not permitted to speak," he hissed.

With a smile, I nodded at Aziel, silently thanking him.

"This way," one of the guards announced before they faced their dark weapons at our backs, shoving us toward the door that exited into the large hall.

As we began to follow the winding steps, music could be heard in the distance, and when a guard opened the door, the melody interpreted the mood of the room: the gluttony of self-indulgence and the lure of absolute power.

Much like before, there were people sitting at each table, eating copious amounts of food and drinking from large goblets. Most of them were men, in clothes that indicated they were wealthy and of high stature. Several women danced seductively to the rhythm while Ahab sat next to his son in the largest throne. Spotting us, Ahab began to stand, raising his arms above his head, causing the music to come to an abrupt halt.

"Friends!" Ahab said with his arms outstretched toward those sitting. The guards had us stand in front of Ahab before forming dark bows, moving a few feet away, and pointing them at our heads. "I present to you this afternoon's champions."

The men began to murmur among one another, glancing us up and down with wide smiles on their faces.

"Fairy, move forward," Ahab commanded before continuing. "Let these men get a closer view."

With my eyes toward the floor, I took several steps forward, holding in a breath as I walked. My hands lay firmly at my side while I bit the inside of my cheek, refusing to look any of them in the face. They were just as twisted as Ahab, and the divinity in me blared with sirens of warning of the dark magic within them. I was realizing the more I depended on divinity, the more it spoke to me.