Chapter Thirty-Four

Addisyn

"This was inevitable," Athalia stated. She crossed her arms over her chest, shaking her head in disgust. "Dark magic consumes the user until nothing is left. We all knew this, and yet we chose to ignore it."

"Stop it!" I demanded, moving toward her before Elijah grabbed my arm, holding me back. "She's still my sister! Consider this my first official act of power." Even to myself, my voice was harsh, but I wanted my words to be abundantly clear. "I don't care about your rank, title, or status. No one is going to speak against her. This isn't Staci. I don't care what it takes, and I don't care what she's done. I know she will be free of this, and the next person to challenge this is gonna have to go through me to do it."

I could feel my own passion flowing throughout my body as my cheeks began to burn. They were my own words, but divinity seemed to fuel me to full throttle, willing my faith to see Staci's eventual change come to fruition. She was lost. Now more than ever. But that only meant she needed me more than ever. I was right to protect her, and the way divinity had pushed me was verification.

Priscilla looked at me with pride before glancing toward the others. They were all quiet and unwilling to challenge me, and for once I was grateful for my title.

"Forgive me, princess, I spoke out of turn," Athalia said, bowing.

Waving her off, I answered, "Look, I get why you're so worried, but if you trust me to find the light, trust me on this too."

Everyone's expressions began to soften, unable to argue with the logic of my words. Even if they were not ready to fully accept it, hopefully their faith that I would find the light would inspire them to believe this as well.

"There is no time to lose, Jake," Priscilla said hastily. "Addisyn will go with you."

"Good choice." Jake moved toward me, giving me a wink. He patted Elijah on the shoulder. "Don't stress, man. You teach these fairies about Ethina, and I'll flirt with Adi while you're busy."

Elijah smiled, aware of Jake's sense of humor by now as Priscilla spoke. "Take Aasim, and travel to the highest peak of Mount Vaylark. There, you will find a cave. Inside is where the stone lies."

"Go," Matthew started. "We've all waited long enough. Destiny has finally arrived."

Jake grinned, giving everyone a confident look. "I got this."

I moved to Elijah, kissing him without the fear of other eyes present. "Be safe, dear heart. I shall see you soon," he said once I pulled away.

"I love you," I replied, finally turning toward the stairs, with Jake following my lead.

"And I you," Elijah answered.

"Stay close to divinity, and it will guide you," my mother stated. "Though I do suggest a change of clothes."

"Good idea." I looked at my dress before asking, "Where can I get something easier to ride in?"

"In my quarters. Inside my wardrobe there are many items appropriate for riding and battle. Choose whatever you desire."

Nodding, we made our way up the stairs, and Jake sighed. "You reached the I love you stage?" he asked, shaking his head. "I was supposed to keep you from falling in love with him."

Laughing, I moved through Priscilla's tree home, making my way toward the wardrobe. "I wasn't meant to fall in love with my one flesh?" I opened it while speaking, going through the folded items until settling for a cream tunic and black pants. I also grabbed a silver and surprisingly light chest armor then reached for a pair of black boots on the floor, which looked similar to the ones I had on in Trayeu.

Jake headed for the exit. "I'll wait outside."

When I'd finally changed and stepped outside, Aasim was already trotting to me.

"By the way, you weren't supposed to fall in love with Elijah," Jake told me boldly, bringing up our conversation from earlier. "I had a plan." He paused as we both climbed on Aasim's back with me in the front, and Jake placed his hands on my waist just like the day we'd ridden together near Dead Man's Pass. "There were gonna be flowers and possibly a dessert. By the way, what's up with fairies and vegetables? That food table had not a single burger, steak, or slab of meat anywhere. And is it really a party without meat?"

"In Arwick, animals talk, and fairies can hear them, Jake. Eating a friend is usually frowned upon."

"Not gonna lie. If the cows back on the ranch could have talked, I think I'd still picture them as a medium rare steak," he replied.

Sighing, I looked over my shoulder. "Just hang on, you dork." Patting Aasim's shoulder, I said, "We've got to get to the highest peak of Mount Vaylark."

Aasim didn't hesitate, taking flight in the direction I'd stated. It was time to find the relic, taking yet another step to save Arwick.