Chapter Fourty-One

Addisyn

My hands gripped the glittering blade I created as the dark user approached me. The shouts of the arena were dull and muffled by my own adrenaline. He moved toward me with malice in his dark eyes as I dodged his first blow. Sidestepping, I swung my blade at an angle as he swiftly took a step back from its reach.

Our attacks were precise, and as we continued to battle, I glanced toward Aziel just as his opponent's blade cut through his flesh.

"No!" I cried out before dashing toward him. The two men we'd been fighting seemed to disappear as I knelt beside him, pressing my hand tightly against his wound. His large eyes that seemed so full of wisdom looked cold as if they were moments away from taking in their final sight.

Blood slipped through my fingers as my body began to rock, unable to remain still from the torment my heart felt. Aziel wasn't supposed to die. I was supposed to get us out. I should have gotten both of us out.

"Addisyn!"

Elijah's voice was unrecognizable, but I could not take my eyes off Aziel, not even for a second.

"Addisyn, this is but a dream. It is all right. You are safe. The arena is behind you."

Elijah's hand rested on my shoulder, and everything quickly faded—the arena, Aziel. All of it disappeared before I realized I stood in the same place I had when Elijah and I met in my dreams before. With a deep breath, I fell into his open arms, welcoming his comfort.

Unexpectedly I awoke to find myself back inside the tree. The crackling fire still cast shadows against the inside of the trunk while Elijah caressed my cheek. He kissed my forehead, holding me close.

Shaking my head, tears spilled over my cheeks. "I-I really thought...I was back." I could feel the unsteadiness of my own breath getting worse, the words staggering from my lips.

"I know, dear heart. I know." His empathy tangled together with my own fear, and I tried to concentrate on his emotions, hoping my own would fade into the background.

"Will I ever stop dreaming about what I faced?" I asked hesitantly, remembering my nightmare in the cave.

"We are at war. What we have faced and what is to come is one of the most difficult trials any person can encounter. I wish I had a better answer, but some wounds created by life take years to heal. Still, divinity can and will give you the comfort you need. And I will, of course, always be here for you." Elijah played with my hair before his finger caught in a tangle. He smirked, gently releasing the strand. "It seems our endeavors of the evening have left your hair slightly disheveled," he said with a cheeky grin.

I blushed as the memories of our incredible evening flooded my thoughts. Everything about our time together had been absolutely perfect, and I knew that our beautiful intimacy would always be as glorious as it had been on our first night.

"I love you," I said, welcoming the distraction he'd provided, which had been just enough to get past how I felt about my dream. Elijah's hand rested on my waist, his thumb gently caressing me. Looking at him, my mind suddenly remembered all the questions I'd been meaning to ask him. "Elijah?" I started out while he nodded in response. "What happens to dark users when they die?"

A dark expression crossed over his face before he spoke. "It is known as the Land of the Forsaken among divinity users, but I do know that it was formed the moment Kane betrayed divinity. Whoever enters is forever trapped and forever alone. There is no hope. No peace. No comfort. Just a darkness that consumes and a fear that never leaves."

"That sounds...horrifying," I said, almost choking on my words. "Okay, onto something less traumatizing to think about," I said wide-eyed before continuing. "Days before I first saw the Marked Six and even the first time I saw them in the library where we met, it seemed like lights were going out. Why did it happen then but never again?"

Elijah contemplated my words for a moment then spoke. "It was likely a vision from divinity. Warning you of the nature within them."

Addisyn! Aasim's voice inside my head sounded desperate. My thoughts were torn from our conversation, and I looked toward the covered door.

"Dear heart?" Elijah said curiously. "What is wrong?"

You must hurry! Your sister has escaped with the help of Joash! He knows of the truth of the secret passage!

Swiftly rising to my feet, I tossed my nightgown over my head, quickly dressing into the riding clothes my mother had given me, a maroon tunic and black pants.

Elijah followed my lead, placing on his shirt as he spoke. "Addisyn, something has happened. Is Aasim all right?" Just as the words left his mouth, we could hear many cries of outrage and distress, their words blending together until only one was coherent enough to understand. Escape.

"It's Staci," I told him, unable to restrain my distress as it came out in the sound of my voice. Pulling on my boots, I ran out the door with Elijah right behind me.

Athalia and Aziel, already on their way and clearly the fastest runners, had many of the others trailing behind them. "She has escaped!" Athalia started out. Her breath was as steady as my own like she hadn't just been sprinting across unsteady earth. Her eyes were wide and full of heart-wrenching betrayal. "Princess Staci has betrayed and abandoned us."