Chapter Fourty-Five

The king's room was illuminated by the same golden symbols I saw when first entering the kingdom. Lying across the floor was a heavy blanket of straw with several folded robes and tunics set in a pile near the bed. A wooden desk with scrolls, several quills, and ink was near the fireplace. The ambiance of the room was simpler than I imagined for a king, but perhaps Moses wanted it that way. From the little interaction I had with him, I sensed he did not make himself more important than other men or women among his people.

A sudden sign drew my attention to the bed, where an elderly man lay under the maroon blanket. His long silver hair spilled over the edge of the bed, with strands falling over his russet skin.

Not wishing to startle him, I spoke as gently as I could without whispering. "Ashkenaz?" I began, taking a step toward him. He immediately faced the door, opening his eyes, revealing a cloudy white glaze over his pupils and irises. "I am Princess Addisyn. I'm here so you can help me find the light."

With a deep gasp, Ashkenaz's smile was one of absolute euphoria. "My time has come," he said, trying to sit up unsuccessfully. Rushing to his aid, I grabbed his hand and placed my other on his back, adjusting him until he was comfortable. He was quite frail, so it didn't take much strength, and he patted my hand affectionately. "Thank you, young lady." He chuckled with a cough before continuing. "When one reaches the old age of nine and ninety, one learns to accept the help of others, as one likely can no longer help themselves."

Gently smirking, I cut to the chase. "There's something you wish to tell me?"

"And give you," he began. "The time of salvation has come." Reaching in the pocket of his pants, he gripped whatever was in his palm as if he were its guardian. "This is for your hands only, my lady."

He gently set the small ivory pebble into my palm, closing his eyes with a serene grin, like he'd just finished the race of his life. "Place this in the waters of Aielgile. Only then will the lake reveal its long-awaited secret."

I ran my thumb over the smooth stone, curiously considering what it would cause the waters of that lake to do. I was certain it would be magnificent. Divinity seemed to enjoy taking small, seemingly insignificant things and making them extraordinary. "Where is this lake?"

"The waters of Aielgile have fed the streams and tunnels of Ethina's caverns long before we called this place home. But you must be careful. Scouts from the borders of Ahab's kingdom often travel near those waters. For they have searched many years for our hidden kingdom. I would not even trust the birds of the sky. Perhaps they too are under his command."

"I'll have my one flesh protect us with a conceal," I answered, hoping to stifle any worry he had.

"Who is your one flesh?" he asked, his head suddenly tilted as he smiled.

"Elijah of Ethina."

His grin expanded while he chuckled, and his lack of vision did nothing to hinder the twinkle in his eyes. "Elijah is a good man. Worthy of a woman with such a destiny."

I bit my lip. "Yeah, he's pretty amazing."

"Princess, I do not wish for you to see me pass, and I feel that my time here has come to an end. I completed my task, and it is time for me to go home."

My throat and chest suddenly felt tight as the moment I'd watched my mother die came to mind. As if by instinct, I reached for his hand. "I've heard we go to Roria. What is it like there? Can you tell me about it?" I asked through a strained voice. The idea of seeing someone else lose their life after everything I'd been through seemed unbearable but leaving him alone seemed worse.