Chapter Forty-Four

Addisyn

The crimson sand glistened under the heat of a vibrant sun. It was dense and warm to the touch as I twisted onto my back. Despite having landed forcefully against the earth, I was certain there were places that would have been much worse than a vast but soft desert.

Groaning, I squinted while they adjusted to the bright daylight. "Where am I?" I asked aloud, feeling dazed.

"Addisyn!" I heard Elijah call my name from a distance while I lifted myself from the ground, albeit wobbly. "Are you alright?" he asked, stumbling as he moved toward me. I knew, by his uneven stance, that he must have collided with the earth as violently as I had.

"I-I think so." My mind was still trying to comprehend everything I'd seen just moments ago, let alone understand how I'd managed to end up in a red desert. "Is—Is this still—a part of my vision?"

Having reached me, Elijah cupped my face, looking into my eyes intently with a gentle grin. "No, dear heart, I am as real as the sand beneath your feet. Whatever fate chose to show you is now behind you." He pointed to the magnificent rocklike structures that were several hundred yards away. Scarlet in color, they went on for miles. The bottom of the mountain was jagged, like it had been cut into from different angles, while the peaks were smooth with most thinning into squared edges. "It has taken us just outside of Ethina. The hidden city is located in those mountains."

With my hands on his chest, I felt momentarily speechless. I had so much to tell him but could not find the words to express everything I'd been shown. "Elijah, I saw so much I—"

Soon those who had traveled with us began to appear out of nowhere, falling from several feet up before hitting the ground, distracting me from my conversation. "Where is Aasim?" I glanced around carefully before the sound of his neigh could be heard overhead.

I am here, Addisyn. Landing beside me, I stroked his neck with a smile just as Jake popped into view, slamming into the sand.

"What was that about?" he groaned, his words slow and exaggerated.

Moving to assist him, Elijah held out his hand. "Are you all right?" Elijah asked, patting Jake's back once he was on his feet.

Jake looked around, holding his hand up to cover the sun. "Where are we?" he asked us as my mother, Athalia, John, Matthew, and Aziel approached.

"Not far from my home," Elijah answered.

"My queen, it seems unwise that so many of us approach Ethina," Athalia began, pointing toward the other fairies that totaled well over a hundred who had landed among the sand. "Might I suggest John, Matthew, Jake, and Aziel stay with us and use a conceal to protect us from any who might travel this way?"

Priscilla nodded. "An excellent idea. Inform the others." Looking to John, she continued. "To conceal so many will take a great deal of strength and faith." She paused, directing her next step to her first marshal. "Athalia, make certain our kin are deep in connection to the presence of Divinity. I want their meditation to strengthen the men concealing all of you."

"Yes, my queen," Athalia answered with a small bow. Facing Jake once more, she pointed toward the skies. "Your chosen approaches."

Looking up, Jake smiled as Eliora landed beside him. "Took your time getting here, Eliora?" he teased while the other Pegasi landed near their chosen ones as well.

Sorry, Jake. None of us were permitted beyond the barrier until our chosen ones appeared here. It is not demanded for the creatures of Arwick to meet their fate. You and your kin, however, must, she shot back, baring her teeth into a smirk as her eyes lit up humorously.