Chapter Fourteen

The sweat from my forehead fell to the ground in small droplets. Having already removed the chain mail and waste armor, I kicked off the boots as well, leaving only the tunic and cotton pants. It was unclear how long had passed since I'd been placed in the burn room, but the temperature was already becoming overwhelming. For some time I'd managed to endure the flames that surrounded me, ignoring the perspiration that drenched my skin, but the fire was beginning to win my battle against it.

With each slow breath, my thoughts seemed to be getting fuzzier while my vision began to blur. I felt my concentration breaking, like a movie continuously lagging on a bad internet connection; one moment I was motivating myself to hold on just a little longer, the next I fell into a faraway haze. With my arms too weak to hold my own weight, I lay on the coarse animal hides, feeling my eyelids close against my will.

"No," I whispered hoarsely; my throat was so dry it felt like I'd swallowed sand. I wanted to fight against my body's weak state. I wanted to stay conscious and aware of my surroundings, but the haze was filling even the smallest corners of my mind until the urge to stay awake was surrounded by fog.

"Elijah?" I said, surprised. He'd been facing with his back toward me, but I recognized his form instantly. The area around us was black, and it seemed the only thing I could make out was him.

Swiftly turning around, he faced me with an elated expression, rushing toward me and enveloping me into his warm embrace. A sigh escaped my lips as they curved upward. I didn't understand how it was possible that he was there now, holding me, but I wasn't in a position to argue it or even care. I'd been fighting to survive for this very moment, yearning to give my friends back their freedom and to be with them once again.

"Dear heart!" he declared before I instantly withdrew from his hold on me, remembering the injuries that I'd watched being inflicted on his flesh.

"I'm so sorry. Did I hurt you?" I said, inspecting him carefully.

He shook his head; a sort of excitement came over him before he explained. "When we connect in dream, our injuries can be healed." He paused, his smile quickly fading. "You envisioned the lashings?"

My lip began to quiver. "Yes," I whimpered, images of his lashings flooding my mind. Elijah's strong hands took hold of mine.

With a gasp, I began to feel the divinity that resided inside him crash into my own, connecting us internally until the concept of one flesh was becoming clearer. His joy, comfort, and peace that came from being near me coursed through me, colliding into what I was feeling. Our own emotions and the strength of our own divinity seemed to become one until the sensation sent a radiating hum inside me, causing my heart to race with vigorous speed. My mouth fell open as I drew in long, deep breaths.

His lips curved into a tranquil grin while his hands squeezed mine. "Incredible, is it not?" Elijah said breathlessly.

I hadn't even realized my eyes had shut, like my body had wanted to relish in the moment, until they snapped open at his words. "One flesh." I smiled. Elijah was my forever. The unbelievably handsome, incredibly kind, and determined Elijah was what divinity had meant to be my very own. It wasn't fear that crept through my veins as I mulled the idea over in my head; I wasn't afraid to fall in love, especially knowing divinity had always considered whatever I needed before I even realized I needed it myself. Still, I could not help but doubt. divinity had given me so much already, and how could I deserve him as well?

Elijah's brows furrowed before he let go of one hand, lifting my chin to face him. "What has caused this doubt that you feel?" His shoulders seemed to tense before his eyes fell to the floor. "Do you doubt what has been revealed? That I am now your one flesh?"