Chapter Thirty-Nine

Addisyn

Elijah beamed. His smile was that of a man who watched the brightest future approach him. I could feel his effervescent merriment at the mere sight of me, and it made me laugh; our shared joy overwhelmed me in the best sort of way.

The singing continued as I stepped across the petals that led me toward him. A slight breeze began to build, casting around the scent of spring, and my eyes finally turned to my friends. Aasim neighed pleasantly, his wings gently flapping as he stood among his kind. Jake smiled. He ran a hand through his hair and raised his shoulders when I mouthed a thank-you. It wasn't easy, but he'd come, the measure of his character shining through his action. Beside him, his new friend and dragon nuzzled his leg comfortingly. Jake patted her head and chuckled, Eliora determined to distract him. John was beside himself, tears of joy falling down his cheeks. My mother stared at me like I'd become everything she'd hoped. Closing my eyes for a moment, I thought of home. I imagined my parents and hoped to divinity my father was okay. I wish you were here, I thought as my mother's smile came to mind. I knew she would have been happy for me, only after trying to convince me to get a background check on Elijah just to be sure.

Having reached Elijah's side, he grabbed both my hands. "You are lovely," he told me.

I relaxed into his touch, my stomach doing excited flips. "This is crazy," I admitted with a smile, laughing.

"That we are to wed?" he asked, only loud enough for me to hear.

I nodded. "I love you, but in my world, things don't happen this fast. Well, maybe they do in Vegas."

Elijah smirked. "Perhaps. But divinity is not known to those of the New World, though I suspect that will change very soon. Still, let us enjoy this moment, dear heart. You have the tendency to worry what others will think. Especially when it comes to those you love. This is our moment. Stay with me in it."

I squeezed his hands. He was right. I mouthed an okay before Queen Priscilla now stood before us.

With her hands raised, the singing stopped. The goblet she held was full of wine before Priscilla moved it toward us.

"This cup represents the trials of life. You shall face many with one another. Moments of joy and moments of anger. No single individual is perfect. With marriage comes strife, sickness, and heartache. But it is in the times we are tested that show the truest of loves. Acts of mercy. Acts of grace. Acts of service. This is what true love resembles. So before Divinity, before our kin, and before each other, drink of life's cup and vow to give this kind of true love to one another forever."

She handed the cup to Elijah first, who gladly took a drink. He handed it to me before I brought the red liquid to my lips. With a small sip, those around us began to cheer. I glanced around, realizing how simple weddings were in Arwick (for at least the fairies anyway) before Elijah stepped toward me, pressing his lips against mine. It was right then that I had become a married woman, and nothing could have felt quite as suitable as belonging to Elijah.

He pulled away much quicker than I would have liked, and sensing my disappointment, he smiled. Leaning toward me, Elijah rested his cheek against mine. "There is more to come in just a short while, dear heart. For I plan to have all of you and to give you all of me."

His voice was low and full of his obvious desire for me. I drew in a breath as my heart began to race. Of course, I knew what was to come. I was a married woman now, but until that moment I hadn't considered it. Now as Elijah looked at me with his eyes full of intense passion, I could hardly think of anything else.

Laughter surrounded me like a song, and fairies danced in circles around me, showing no signs of stopping.

For what seemed like the billionth time, I missed my step in time with the other lady fairies who danced in unison. John was my partner, and he too seemed to remember all the steps despite being in my world for so long.