Chapter Fifty-Eight

As expected, it hadn't taken Eliora much time to demolish the troops that remained. Her grief had been so unbearable she left nothing in her wake. Not a single dark user in the entire kingdom had survived her wrath, and in the eyes of the rest of us, justice still hadn't been served. The few divinity users who had survived now filled the throne room, each of them just as defeated as me. To my left, an elf began tending to those with the most severe injuries while I lay my head against Elijah's chest, unable to keep my eyes open from the throbbing ache in my forehead.

"Daughter," Priscilla called, but I did nothing to indicate I was listening. I could only imagine how she, like the rest of them, yearned for answers. And yet I didn't have the heart to begin. "Addisyn, I know you are weary, but we've just covered our king in burial cloths." I could hear her voice begin to break as she tried to compose herself. "And yet nothing about your demeanor seems surprised by this. You knew he was to die?"

I drew in a long breath, so succumbed by my own grief I was struggling to ask divinity for help. When I still remained quiet, Aziel began to speak. "Addisyn, you have answers we desperately need. As much as you desire to shut out the world, we..." He paused, releasing an exhausted breath. "I need your answers."

Finally opening my eyes, I looked to those nearest me—Elijah, Jake, Emunah, King Moses, Simon, Priscilla, and Aziel—each of them staring at me with longing. Noticing me rise to my feet, the others in the room grew still, waiting for my answers.

With what little energy I had left, I began to speak, retelling my time with Selah down to the last detail. As I spoke my legs wobbled, too weak to stand, but Elijah rushed to my aid, holding me steady with one arm wrapped around my waist and the other under my arm. When I was finally finished explaining what I'd seen and witnessed, the entire group fell under a deep perplexity, their expressions just as astonished and perturbed as I had felt the first time Selah had explained it to me.

"So many of our people died to see Selah fail?" Athalia fumed.

"To him this wasn't failure, Athalia. His death and eventual resurrection are going to break dark magic's curse." It was no longer just myself speaking, and I was grateful divinity had taken the lead. There was very little strength left in me to stand, let alone comfort them all with encouragement and faith.

"And how does dying break the curse?" she questioned, moving toward me. "Why could he not strike Kane down and rid us of dark magic's evil for good?"

"Because he said those who use dark magic would be given the chance to be saved from it," I answered, causing many of those who'd drawn near to gasp.

"Selah means to give our enemies a chance of redemption?" someone asked, outraged.

"Who are we to question his methods or authority?" Emunah rested her fingers on her forehead as if she struggled with the concept. "I struggle with it just as you all do." She looked to the ceiling, giving herself a moment's pause. "However, I feel divinity's desire to trust the unseen. The days ahead will be the darkest many of us have ever seen, but the dawn will come. I can sense it."

"What hope do we have left as our king lies dead!" an elf shouted, pointing to Selah's body. His outburst caused many to shout in angered agreement.

The arguing continued, everyone shouting over one another, only adding to the room's despair. Moral was at an all-time low and given that I had been chosen to lead them into new faith and hope, I felt responsible for their misery.

"This is way beyond my own capabilities," I said aloud, though no one had been paying attention to hear me. "I've reached that pit again, divinity. I wish I could say I wasn't repeatedly falling in it, but here I am." I looked around the room once more, placing a hand on my heart as Aasim hauled Netanyah into the room. The way she gripped her side, I knew she must have sustained a hefty injury. "Aasim! Aasim!" Somehow the sight of him and given me enough strength to run full speed toward him, colliding into him as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

Addisyn, I know we had our own missions to achieve, but I refuse to be separated from you during a battle ever again.

I grinned, thanking divinity for returning Aasim to me. "Agreed," I answered, patting him before looking up at Netanyah. "Here, I'll help you down."

Aziel, who had been attempting to defuse the arguments with his sister, quickly approached. "Princess, allow me to assist her. I believe you are needed elsewhere."

He glanced toward those still fighting, their voices raising with every point they tried to make. "Where has your faith gone?" Emunah shouted to the crowd. "You see with only your eyes!"

"Because I see a dead king!" Athalia sneered.

I looked toward Elijah, his eyes still red from his tears. Inside his heart was torment and struggle, but stronger still was his hope. Like Emunah, he would trust Selah, and as we began to walk toward each other, I needed them to see that I would do the same.

When we'd reached each other, Elijah cupped my face, placing a gentle but needful kiss on my lips. Leaning his forehead against mine, I held his hand to my heart. "I love you," I told him softly.

"I will always love you, dear heart," he answered.

"Hold my hand while I deal with this?" I asked, thankful I could feel his love so strongly when he held me.

"Of course." He smiled.

With a concentrated breath, I faced them all. I was their broken leader entirely dependent on divinity, accepting that was exactly what they needed. "I have something to say." I tried to be loud enough to catch their attention, but the strife only continued.

Bolder...With authority, divinity said plainly.

I tugged at my wrinkled tunic, standing just a little bit taller with my shoulders drawn back. "I said I have something to say!" That time everyone grew quiet. Elves, fairies, and humans alike were all looking to me. Some hopeful. Some perturbed. But I had their attention, and that was all I needed. "Selah is going to return. Whether you choose to believe it or not, your feelings on the matter don't matter to me." I looked toward the ones we lost, my lip beginning to quiver as I stared toward John. "After everything that's happened, I refuse to believe anything else. The truth is I don't believe divinity would ask so much of us unless it meant something greater was coming." I looked to Aziel, Emunah, and then Jake with a knowing glance. They all moved toward Elijah and me, ready for what I had explained we were called to do.

The five of us knelt in unison, patting one another's backs with pain-struck eyes and holding on to our deep aspirations for a better tomorrow. With one final glance, I looked toward the others, some of whom stared at me guiltily, while others still held on to their acrimonious sneers, but I couldn't, wouldn't be swayed. "The five of us have some deep reflection to do. So the rest of you can just keep watch over the throne room."

Taking one another's hands, we all glanced toward Selah's body at once, Emunah sniffling as she did so. For us, all we had now was to press forward, to follow divinity's directions to the very letter, until the glorious day of Selah's mighty return.

To be continued...