Chapter Thirty-Three

Staci

There wasn't a single bone in my body that wanted to attend that party. Not even the old Staci, who would have been thrilled to show up in a gorgeous dress (sure it wasn't my style, but there was no denying it was beautiful) and be happy to find people dancing to music, wanted this. Even the decorations were undeniably pretty; a blue pastel sheer lace was wrapped around the six trees that formed a circle, and attached to the lace were randomly assorted flowers. There was music played with wooden instruments while couples danced. A large table off to the side had all kinds of fruits and vegetables to pick and choose from.

Fairies young and old had shown up. And okay, at one point I did see two small children dancing with who I assumed was their father. All three of their markings were gray, and each of them had red hair. But it wasn't their similarities that caused me to have a fraction of a smile. They just seemed so happy. But that had long gone.

I could have blamed my dark magic easily. It hated everything about what was going on, all these divinity users frolicking around smiling and laughing. It was nauseating, and there were at least fifty of them nearby. The others were outside the circle dancing around tree homes within eye distance or grabbing a bite to eat before leaving. But that wasn't the real cause for my need to escape. It was the stares. So many of them looked at me like I was dangerous and at any minute I might strike.

I was used to being silently judged and growing up in a small area could do that to a girl with my reputation.  Still, this was different. I wasn't just the town trash. Here, I was evil incarnate. I was an enemy at their celebration, and I'd betrayed them. I could see it in their eyes how I had been meant to be a part of their family but had made my own choices in preventing that, and they resented me for it.

Priscilla had tried to get me involved. She'd even introduced me to some of her closest friends, and as much as they clearly respected my mom, none of them could hold back a disapproving expression.

After a few brief and painfully awkward conversations, even Priscilla had given up trying to include me, allowing me to stay on the sidelines all to my lonesome.

When Addisyn came back, she'd immediately come to my side, while Elijah busied himself at the food table. She started by giving me every detail of her little adventure with Elijah. I'd nodded when appropriate but didn't care. As much I'd wanted to, my dark magic was feeling more threatened by the second while the fairies of the party looked at us both with fear in their eyes, obviously aware of the dark prophecy and worried I'd slaughter their precious light of Roria bringer.

"I wish I had your hair," Addisyn said, bringing me out of my mopey thoughts.

"Huh?" I had to ask, only half listening. She held a strand of my blond hair in her hand.

"I mean, we've both been without any decent shampoo and conditioner, slumming it in the wilderness like an episode of Survivor, and look at this." She showed me the strand, smiling but shaking her head, somewhat jealous. "Somehow your hair still looks like you just stepped out of the salon."

I couldn't help but let out the tiniest of laughs. "Are you serious? I think it looks awful."

"No." She shook her head, grinning. "Not even a little bit, and stop lying. You know I'm right."

Again I laughed and this time a little bit harder than before. "If you say so."

"Good afternoon, Princess Staci. I hope I am not intruding." Aziel, who had been mingling with others, now smiled at me. He looked just as gorgeous as ever, and I thoroughly enjoyed the way his shoulder looked in the white tunic he was wearing.