Untitled Part 28

Staci

"We have to get up there! I don't care what she said anymore!"

Aasim had been keeping me from leaving the safety of the lower deck, all because Addisyn had given the order. But I wouldn't risk them anymore. I didn't care what happened to me anymore (well, that wasn't entirely true; I cared if I died), especially since I had been the reason for all this insanity. If I had to throw myself overboard, I would. Then maybe I wouldn't be the fairy to cause Arwick's destruction. Maybe they would remember me as the one to help Addisyn be the fairy to save it. My thoughts made my magic flinch, holding my legs in place for a moment, but I wouldn't let it lead.

Going beneath his legs, I moved past Aasim, climbed the steps, and ripped open the door to the upper deck. The rain immediately wet my skin when my focus fell on a horrible sight.

"No!" I screamed out, falling across the wet deck. In a flash, she was gone, and I was unable to make her out among the waves.

Elijah, who was already clinging to the edge, called out her name, and though I couldn't quite make out his words, I watched him hold the blade out to the sea. Then with all his might, he chucked the sword over the ship, and the waves accepted like they had taken Addisyn.

Addisyn! Aasim's neighs were loud, soaring above all of us toward the waters, but soon the clouds began to fade, and the waves began to settle, and once again the sun appeared, shining down on all of us. It was like there hadn't been a storm at all. It was a peaceful sea with nothing but blue skies overhead, and the only evidence of that massive storm was the wet deck and our drenched bodies.

"Staci," Aziel said, making his way to me. His voice was surprisingly steady considering what we'd all just been through. "Thank divinity you are safe." He'd meant to touch me but seemed to stop himself when he realized just how uncomfortable I looked.

I would have given an awkward reply, but my mind was too preoccupied with finding Addisyn, and by the looks of everyone else who were all now standing next to Elijah near the ship's edge, they were just as worried as me.

"Can you see her?" Jake yelled out to all of us.

"She saved us," John said. He sounded close to tears scanning the waters.

"Dear heart!" Elijah screamed before diving into the sea.

Each of us looked toward the way he'd leaped before spotting her body floating in the water.

When he reached her, John, Aziel, and Jake were all ready to get them back on board, throwing out a rope that each of them gripped to pull them up.

But Aasim, who let out a screech of a neigh, swooped down toward the sea to help. He lowered himself into the water before Elijah pulled himself and Addisyn on Aasim's back. With a few paddles of his legs, Aasim's wings lifted them from the water, and he soared back to the ship.

Everyone crowded around Elijah, who laid Addisyn's body down on the ship.

"Is she breathing?" John asked, kneeling beside Elijah. "There is something I can do if she is not."

"Yes," Elijah said. "I watched as the water withdrew from her lungs that she had swallowed when I retrieved her. My sacrifice of the sword must have been enough, so it returned her to us."

"Why isn't she conscious?" I said, afraid. Kneeling beside the others, I began to cry. It wasn't even something I had a choice over. Not even my dark side had a say. These tears had come straight from the part of me that loved Adi, no matter what.

"Give her a moment. She will come to," Elijah said assuredly.

"Come on, Adi. Wake up," Jake said, placing his hand on her shoulder.

Elijah cradled her, kissing her forehead over and over while he stroked her soaked auburn hair.

While I wiped away a tear, Aziel placed his hand on my shoulder. Looking up at him with surprise, he glanced at me for a moment. Something in his eyes told me he wanted me to believe as he did that she'd be fine. This wasn't about him wanting to be close to the person he thought was his so-called one flesh. It was about wanting to be there for me, like he'd made up his mind to take care of me whenever I needed it.

If my dark magic were to have taken the form of an animal at that point, it would have been a feral cat. I hated and liked his kindness all at once, but feeling torn was becoming a new normal for me.

Finally, her eyes fluttered open. "E-Elijah?" she said softly. He smiled, breathing a sigh of relief. When Elijah kissed her forehead again, Addisyn tried to sit up. "H-How—did I—get back—on the boat?" She was having trouble speaking, which made sense since she dove directly into a furious storm bent on killing us off.

"Elijah's quick thinking," Jake started out. "Turns out the guy has brains after all."

She tried to smile, but it was obvious how exhausted she felt, and while Jake continued, she closed her eyes for a moment. "He sacrificed his sword." Opening them again, Addisyn looked surprised. "But—how was that enough?"

Still holding on to her, Elijah said, "Think of the advantage we had, dear heart. With it, we could have traveled hundreds of leagues in an instant, desecrated any army Kane would have sent to stop us, and protected every soldier we have with blue flame. Offering it to Zerenea meant the battle ahead would be a difficult one once again."

"I can't believe you did that," I said, sounding angry. Sure, I was happy she was okay, but to die on my behalf was insane.

"Oh, I can believe it," Elijah started out. "However, I wish I had not witnessed it." His finger gently brushed her cheek, and something in the way they looked at each other was like they were communicating without words.

"You are self-sacrificing beyond many others and have the courage of a thousand men," John said before holding her hand. "But never do that again."

Smiling, Addisyn looked to Aasim, who had been waiting for her. She rose to her feet, but Elijah was quick to help her.

That was a horrible and brave thing you did.

She stroked his neck after we had both heard him. "I know, and I'm sorry. I just couldn't watch everyone die."

I understand, his thoughts told her.

Soon Joash flew low enough that he drew our attention.

You are foolhardy. But I suppose since you saved me and my egg, I should thank you.

His wings flapped back and forth to keep him from going into the water, and it caused a wind to rush around us.

If I had another, I would give you the magic to blanket a city in smoke.

"Believe me, if you could give me one of those so I could cover a city in dragon smoke again, I wouldn't hesitate to take it," Addisyn answered.

"That sounds awesome," Jake admitted.

She smiled at us. "Actually it was."

John, who moved toward the middle sail, spoke. "We shouldn't waste another moment."

"Right," Elijah said. "We should journey on to Edena."

Everyone seemed to get to work all at once, Elijah moving toward a paddle while Aziel heading for the other. Jake and John began setting the mainsail while Addisyn moved to help before Elijah raised a hand. "Absolutely not," he started out. "You must rest."

"I, for one," Jake said, interrupting, "want to know all about your rescue with this awesome dragon smoke. So, I say you can come right over here and busy yourself with a killer story."

Addisyn smirked before nodding, listening to them both. When she moved toward Jake, Aasim was quick to help her along the way while she gripped his mane. Her legs were weak, but Addisyn was tough and hid it well.

Sitting by Jake, I readied myself for a story, hoping it would distract me from my own guilt. I had been the reason Addisyn had swan dived into a ticked off sea. "Trust me, it's as good as you imagine," she admitted.