Chapter Twenty-Four

We each kept a steady pace with one another, walking so quickly it was practically a jog.

Young fairy, I will take you at your word for now. But of this you can be certain. I will not allow her dark magic to be the death of my kin. If the seas begin to rage, I will fight to survive at any cost.

His words caused me to lose my footing, and I stumbled over sticks that covered the uneven surface of the woods. Elijah, who was quick to hold me steady (it seemed an ongoing trend for us both—I would trip and he would catch me), gave me a worried expression having sensed my sudden fear. Before he could question me, I turned to face Joash, who still remained at the edge of the forest.

"I already said it won't come to that!" I shouted. "I guess you probably don't want to force your way through these trees?"

Joash gave me a sort of nod as his snout seemed to smirk.

I could always set the forest ablaze. Thus, allowing me easy passage.

Rolling my eyes, I began walking once more. "I'd rather you not do that!" I said, causing Elijah to smirk in curiosity.

Once your friends are found, head for the sea. I will meet you there.

With one powerful flap of his wings, Joash rose from the ground, soaring high above our heads. Looking ahead, we began moving once more, when Elijah's eyes caught a glimpse of something on the ground.

"Their tracks," he said, pointing toward the wood's loose surface. "They continue to the west."

Nodding, I followed his lead, knowing I wouldn't be able to read the earth as well as him. I'd lived my life in a library, while Elijah had lived his on the land. In truth I hadn't even known we'd been traveling west in the first place. I chuckled to myself, drawing his attention.

"Why do you laugh?" he asked with a smile.

Shaking my head, I formed a blade in my hand, taking notice of the way Elijah gripped his sword, realizing that despite our smiles and the seemingly peaceful silence of the forest, we still needed to be prepared. "I'm just glad you are leading the way. If it were up to me, we'd already be lost."

Elijah smirked. "Were it up to me, I would have led us straight to them with wind travel. Yet I cannot sense them the way I have been able to sense you from the first moment I found you." He pointed toward me matter-of-factly before continuing. "That alone should have given rise to the concept of divinity's plan for you and I. Yet somehow, I did not see until that moment in the caves."

His fingers interlaced with my own, and I reached for our connection just to enjoy our shared emotions.

I could only imagine how bizarre one flesh would be for someone who hadn't experienced it, almost as if the entire concept seemed like an invasion of privacy, like you'd never get the opportunity to feel something on your own. Yes, that much was true. But somehow, deep within my heart, this wasn't a loss but a gain. It was an honesty that neither of us could ever run from. Like my soul had spoken, stating, "This is me. Take me as I am, Elijah. Imperfections. Insecurities. Everything." Then his soul answered, "With all my heart."

Suddenly I was pulled away from the enjoyment of one flesh, as an instinct of sorts seemed to arise, but it wasn't one I fully understood or recognized. I knew divinity was trying to tell me that it was something regarding my fairy heritage, but considering how long I'd been led to believe I was human, there were still things about myself I didn't fully comprehend yet.

"Dear heart?" Elijah said, obviously curious as to why I'd stopped.

Shaking my head, I closed my eyes. "divinity, you're gonna have to explain it to me," I said, asking for its assistance.