Chapter Forty-Three

Staci

Be prepared. What we are about to face will challenge your mind.

The ocean beneath us was the kind of blue I imagined in Fiji, the kind I would have never seen on my budget back home, and it was gorgeous. The hot sun caused little shimmers across the surface. It was quiet and peaceful and seemed the exact opposite of what I felt inside. My natural instincts had become selfish and violent and moved like a rampaging Hulk. Even when I was silently flying on the back of a dragon (so cool, right?) over a beautiful view, I just felt angry. The only thing that seemed to chill me out was my magic. It was the only thing my mind wanted anymore, and as I created a sword, the beast in my heart settled while the tension faded away.

Joash's words finally seemed to sink in before I spoke. "What does that mean?" I looked down at the perfectly still water. "This definitely looks better than the last body of water we crossed." But then I saw it. A cloud of black swirling around with strikes of lightning. I swallowed, gripping the dark blade in my hand. "Please tell me we aren't going through that."

No, the storm is not what you expect. Up ahead is an invisible gate. It separates the island from the rest of the world by forcing those who dare to cross it to meet their fate.

I rolled my eyes. This world was ridiculous. Why was everything tied to fate or destiny? "Do I even want to know what that means?"

Yes. Your fate decides whether we cross or die.

I felt my heart jolt, my magic sneering. "You never said dying was a possibility!"

Your fate is not to die. I've never sensed such dark potential. Do you believe I would risk my life even for one second if I did not believe this? You fulfill the dark prophecy; I am certain of this.

I scoffed, faking my own disinterest. It was true I still didn't want to become something that could hurt Addisyn. I loved her (even if we'd become two opposite ends of a coin). My goal was still just to get home, but the idea of more power was alluring, even understanding the risks.

"All I want is to get home," I said flatly.

You are an unconvincing liar.

I was usually spectacular at comebacks (a lifetime of defending myself had given me excellent quips), but I stayed quiet. I really did want to go home, but in the back of my mind, I knew getting there wouldn't be easy. And I was afraid of what it might cost. I'd already had to abandon my friends. What else was I going to lose?

Without warning, I suddenly felt like we'd hit a wall. It had such a rough impact the air in my chest disappeared while I wheezed, grasping at my clothes, trying to get it back. Before I could even consider what the heck was going on, my vision went black. I blinked, panicking that the world around me had just up and vanished.

"Joash!" I yelled, realizing I couldn't feel him anymore. I kicked my legs, reaching all around for something to hold on to, but there was nothing. Nothing but me and the darkness that surrounded me. Scared out of my mind, I started to scream. My magic raged, telling me to run, but I couldn't. I couldn't even feel the ground. It was like I was floating in space but without a single star to light my way.

My throat began to ache from my own cries until my fear turned to rage. Magic burst from every part of me. I was surrounded in the dark smoke. Cradled, really. And its strength made me reach for the darkest parts of my soul until I could literally taste the greed, lust, and hate it formed.

Then I finally felt the ground. It was cold underneath my feet and hard as stone. When I was able to see, I realized I was standing on a smooth rock that came to a tip. A soft glow of red surrounded me, which seemed to be coming from somewhere below the edge of the rock. I didn't know how I had managed to wind up in what I assumed was a cave, but I formed a sword and curiously walked toward the edge.