Chapter Forty-Seven

Addisyn

"It fe'ls so g'od to be ea'ing a rea' me'l ag'in." Jake was almost incomprehensible as he munched on the much too large hunk of meat in his mouth. Taking a swig from his goblet, he pointed to the untouched meat on my plate. "You gonna eat that?"

I shook my head. "Be my guest. I'll stick with the bread and veggies."

It hadn't taken much convincing for King Moses to join forces with my mother. Once Priscilla had explained her plan and the stone Jake carried, he was in. Still, he had insisted we enjoy a party and feast in honor of their alliance. Then once his soldiers were able to say their goodbyes to loved ones, everyone was to make for Odmos, while Elijah and I went to find the light.

The party was in full swing, with every fairy and elf who had followed us in attendance. Couples from both races danced together, happily showing the others various steps of their cultures. Others laughed in pleasant conversation, enjoying the wide variety of food served. Children played with wooden swords, chasing one another in a fit of giggles. I watched them all, taking in every smile and joyous expression with careful detail, to be certain I would remember every piece.

"You seem rather pensive tonight, dear heart." Elijah touched my arm, setting down his goblet before turning to face me entirely, his eyes waiting for my reply.

"I'm just trying to remember it all," I began, my eyes scanning the room. "I figured the more joy I carry with me, the easier everything will be."

Jake, who still sat to my right, suddenly turned away from us, doing his best to give us our private moment. Elijah reached for my hand, the weight of his beautiful love for me colliding with my own at his touch. He scooted toward me so that his words could be heard by only me. "I want to apologize. I know our arguments over your sister have not been easy on your spirit. I admit I am still not entirely convinced of her salvation, but I will do my best not to indulge this subject any further. If you choose to believe divinity can save her, then I will not fill your hopes with doubt." He looked at me with pleading eyes. "Forgive me?" he asked.

Touching his face, I nodded before he kissed the brim of my nose. I had meant to speak, but Jake's sudden statement had me turning.

"My sweet divinity, who is that?" His eyes were locked on the entry to the throne room as I followed his gaze. Aziel stood beside a woman I did not recognize. Their arms were interlocked, and her walk was boisterous as she occasionally glanced toward him in affection. Though there was nothing romantic in their actions, their mutual love was evident to anyone with eyes.

Then realization struck me. "It must be his sister. He said she was here," I told Jake, waving at Aziel, who came toward us.

"Ah yes," Elijah chimed, "Emunah is a fellow city guard."

Wiping his face, Jake brushed off any crumbs from his hands, adjusted his emerald tunic, and forced his hair to the side. The sudden attentiveness toward his own appearance had me curious, my eyes moving between Jake and Emunah.

"Hey, Aziel, this must be your sister." With a courteous wave, I continued. "I'm Addisyn."

"Elijah you must already know," Aziel started. "And this is Jake of the New World."

"Nice to meet you, Emunah." Jake adorned his most charming side grin. (I'd recognized that same look in his eyes from our first date.)

I stifled a smile, observing Emunah, the initial attraction seemingly mutual, her doe-like chocolate eyes drinking him in. She was rather stunning—tall (her height almost matched Jake's) with a wide, infectious smile and a square-shaped face. "You as well, Jake of the New World." She inclined her head. "I must say your sword has a unique design," she added, looking to Jake's blade that lay snug at his hip.