Chapter Forty-Nine

Though I had begun to feel lost as the three of us navigated the deep caves of the mountains, I didn't suffer from the anxiousness that had succumbed me in the labyrinth caves. The air was inviting and the stone so rich with color whenever small bits of light entered, the orange reminding me of the fall back home.

I saw so little of you in Ethina and Edena. It's good to be with you now.

My hand ran across Aasim's neck. "Agreed. But I'm sure a chance to just chill after, well, everything, it was probably nice."

I can admit to that. His nose nudged my shoulder. How are you dealing with everything? I know you must be going through a great deal without Staci.

A memory of one of our movie nights came to mind. Popcorn, chocolate, and chips surrounded us on the couch. I remembered that night clearly. It had been raining all day, and we'd barely moved from the couch. The small moment of reminiscence made me smile, but the ache inside remained the same. "I try not to think about it," I admitted, noticing Elijah trying to let us talk privately. "It's like picking at a scab and letting it bleed all over again. Every time she comes to mind, I just try to turn it over to divinity. Some moments are easier than others, but"—I released a long breath—"Divinity is working me through it."

And it won't stop. He huffed, just as Elijah glanced my way with a comforting grin. I could see him searching for something to talk about, like a change of pace was exactly what I needed.

"I realized we have not discussed the sword Matthew had presented to me in Edena. He had one made for Jake as well."

Pulling the blade from its sheath, he revealed a blade with a silver cross guard wrapped in tan-colored twine and a white stone covered in moss on the pommel. It was simple and earthy with a sense of rugged sustainability. "It suits you," I began. "You're sensible and plainspoken but gentle and kind. Like seeing fast-moving waves on a warm day at the beach."

Elijah moved toward me, his face chipper as he kissed my cheek. "High praise indeed. How lucky I am to have a wife who sees me in such a way." His hand rested on my lower back, and I leaned into him, unbothered by our awkward steps.

As the cave split into three openings, I looked to Elijah, who pointed to the left. "Aielgile is near. Less than a hundred paces, I believe."

Come then. I can get us there quicker, Aasim suggested eagerly.

"Come on, let's ride Aasim the rest of the way." I pulled myself onto the saddle with Elijah placing himself behind me. His fast-moving hooves echoed and clicked around us, becoming more prominent whenever he'd shift to avoid the most uneven ground. My eyes remained fixed forward, raring to see what could lead me to the light of Roria. I'd journeyed so far and faced such arduous times, forced to grow and adapt along the way, I almost struggled to believe I might have reached the destination.

Coming to a sharp halt, my eyes instinctively squinted from the vibrancy of the sun against the lake. The form of the mountains encircled Aielgile, like their purpose was to keep it protected from the outside world. The lake was several hundred yards across, with streams exiting into opens caverns. (I was certain there were more I couldn't see beneath the surface.)

"It's like the mountain's own oasis," I said, climbing off Aasim.

"Aielgile has kept Ethina alive." Elijah's face expressed his gratitude as he knelt, running his fingers through the water. "It does not surprise me that all this time it harbored a secret that would lead us to the light."

With a long exhale, I removed the pebble from the pocket of my pants. I stared at the stone that lay in the palm of my hand, and then I looked to Elijah. "Do I just...toss it in there?" I asked, feeling suddenly uncertain.