Chapter Three

"Ouch!" Removing my sock, blood began to drip from my foot as the cotton pulled at the skin of a torn blister.

"Addisyn, your feet look horrible!" Staci announced worriedly. She stood from where she was and sat directly beside me.

"It's fine, just a little bit of blood. Not exactly a life-and-death injury."

Elijah was already raiding John's first aid kit. Band-Aids hadn't been something his previous life had known, but he had been full of questions during our first five days in the cave when John stressed the importance of that kit. Reaching for some antiseptic and a clean Band-Aid, he came to kneel right in front of me.

"May I?" he asked with the Band-Aid outstretched in front of me.

With a nod, I smiled gratefully as Elijah quickly got to work.

His brilliantly colored eyes were fixated on my foot as he cleaned up the dripping blood and began to apply a Band-Aid. As I watched him work, I realized that things between us had changed, but I wasn't entirely sure I knew what that meant.

The two of us were from completely different worlds—literally. Did admitting feelings mean marriage shortly followed for Elijah? Was an immediate engagement for a couple tradition in his eyes? Most eras of the past were notorious for such things. Our connection had been immense since the moment I meant him, but would our customs and perceptions of love create a rift?

I had been contemplating all this for a while before I realized Elijah was finished and now smiling up at me. His eyes appeared a little concerned as he realized I'd been "mind-wandering" again.

"Thank you," I said with an appreciative grin.

"Of course," he replied.

Staci had been watching our interactions earnestly before I turned to face her. Elijah stood and turned to grab water from the bag. Leaning toward me, she whispered in my ear, "I knew it'd be him. I just wanted your brain to figure it out without my interference."

"Yeah, I think I did too," I replied quietly.

With a yawn, I reached my arms above my head, stretching each muscle that seemed to bear a continuous ache.

Elijah was shifting around on the floor not far from me, readying himself for an uncomfortable night's sleep. He smiled one last time before closing his eyes.

Lying down, I shut my eyes, hoping sleep would not be far away.

***

"Bend your knees, like so." Elijah firmly gripped his sword as he demonstrated. I'd finished eating quickly so we could practice more sword fighting. John had stated my confidence was still lacking in that arena despite my overall improvement. In truth I wasn't anywhere near where I wanted to be, and unless I reached a place where I could face an adversary worthy to challenge even Elijah, I wouldn't be fully satisfied with my own skill.

"True strength in the blow derives from your entire body working together." Elijah crouched, with one arm close to his chest and the other bent with his elbow extended out. With a forceful thrust forward, I watched as his method looked both powerful and majestic, like a deadly dance.

"Remember that despite the strength dark magic provides, divinity will use your skill and weaponry to protect you from it. You must utilize both so they can never lay a hand on you." He demonstrated the same forward thrust once again as he spoke, a grin beginning to form on his lips. "Remember the day I came to protect you and my back was turned? The elf was able to grab ahold of me before I was tossed through a wall."

I snorted before covering my mouth with my hand. "That's not funny. Sorry."

"No, actually I'm just sorry I missed it," Jake replied with a laugh.