Chapter Twenty-Seven

Addisyn

"It's beautiful," I said aloud, standing at the water's edge. The smell of salt and sand surrounded me. The wind carried a mist that made the air a little colder while the sun still beamed high in the sky. The waters were calm, and with the gleam shining from above, the sea almost looked like glass.

There was a single dock along the wide beach, with a metal post and a heavy chain attached to a sailboat.

"Elijah's sword will bring us no further. The sea is of divinity's making and won't be betrayed by the sword." John moved toward the dock with his eyes fixed on the boards. "The words appear as one steps onto the dock." He pointed downward with each of us close behind.

As I looked toward the wooden dock, with each step, the words began to appear, filling each panel as the message followed upward toward the ship.

The waters here are unforgiving.

A word of caution to those wielding

the kind of magic that tears the heart.

By ship or flight you will not cross,

or from this life you will soon part.

But if a sacrifice can be made,

one pure of heart and costly gain,

the Sea of Zerenea will subside its rage.

"Then I was right," I said, feeling ecstatic.

"Sure, but what's the sacrifice?" Jake cringed.

Elijah stood before me. His brows narrowed as he reached for my arm, pulling me off the dock. "Hey, what are you doing?" I asked, with slight irritation.

As we stood in the sand, the others failed miserably at avoiding glancing our way just before Elijah spoke loud enough for only me to hear. "You saw the warning just as I had, and yet you still have not faltered." His raised arm hit his side frustratedly. "John. Jake. Aasim. They will follow you to whatever end. Not only out of respect for your position as a princess but as a leader of our group. But you ask me, your one flesh, to risk your life for the sake of a dark user?" His eyes went wide in astonishment, shaking his head. "Dear heart, she need not come." He gripped my arms pleadingly. "I can surround her with blue flames, capture enough fish, and summon water from my blade, so she need not starve or thirst. Once we leave the forest of your people, I will beg my leaders to protect her in Ethina."

I pulled myself away from his grasp, astonished. "No," I said in disbelief of his suggestion. "Are you...?" I could hardly speak; I was so frustrated with him. "Are you seriously asking me to leave her behind?"

"Dear heart—" I raised my hand immediately to intercede.

"No." I turned away from him as my eyes fell to Staci, who looked out at the sea. Her arms hugged her own body, clearly distressed. She felt alone, and I didn't need to sense her emotions the way I did Elijah's to see it.

For a moment I closed my eyes, contemplating my next words to Elijah carefully. It was our first disagreement, and the thought seemed to create unwanted knots in the pit of my stomach. But not even my hesitation to upset Elijah would prevent me from keeping Staci safe.

"Don't ask me to leave her behind. Because I can't." Turning to face him, I felt his guilt begin to rise at my disappointment in him. "I have to believe this will work. Because if I leave her behind now, it only proves to her that I don't have faith we can bring her back."

Elijah opened his mouth to speak before closing it. His hand went through his hair, releasing an exasperated breath. "You ask too much of me," he whispered. His fear was heavy, and his hazel eyes were desperate to keep me safe.