Chapter 24

One year later:

BUCKY

I have been in cryo-freeze for six months before Shuri felt ready to try the algorithm on me. It took another very long five months before I could hear the words and not become the Winter Soldier. They removed my arm when I came out of the chamber. They said it was a precautionary measure. I didn't care. I just wanted to get back to DC as soon as I could.

I missed Chelsey for every single day that I was awake in Wakanda. The day that Ayo said all nine words and I stayed Bucky, I cried like a baby. At last, it felt like I could breathe again. King T'Challa insisted that I stay another month to make a hundred percent sure that I was rid of HYDRA. It killed me, but knowing that I was so close to seeing her again made it easier.

During the last month of my stay, Shuri also fitted me with a new and improved titanium arm, dull silver with gold patterns on it. It was lighter, and I had no pain when I put my arm under pressure.

Back in Washington DC – SHIELD Headquarters.

Steve came to fetch me two days ago before he left on a mission again. During the last two days, I was given a furnished apartment and a company car by SHIELD until I could afford to get my own apartment and car. I was also in meetings with Director Fury, in which I did a psych evaluation to make sure I am of sound mind. I was told how things work at SHIELD, and I had to sit in on a few meetings where current missions and future missions were being discussed.

I met the Avengers that I haven't met yet, in any case, the ones that weren't already on missions and were also given an office, like all the other Avengers. I am not sure all the Avengers are happy to have me as part of the team, but I suppose that is to be expected. They don't know me. They only know the Winter Soldier. It will take time to win their trust.

Through it all, I was watching out for Chelsey, but she was nowhere to be seen.

This is my third day at SHIELD, and I still haven't seen Chelsey anywhere. I know the offices of all the mission coordinators and their staff are also on the fifth floor, but not once did I see her in her office or, for that matter, anywhere in the building.

Since Steve is out on a mission, I can't ask him about Chelsey, and I don't want to ask anybody in her office. My presence here already caused a small disturbance, and I don't want to make it obvious that I am looking for her. Sooner or later, I am bound to run into her.

When I still haven't found her by five o'clock, I decide "Fuck it" I need to ask someone. I decide to talk to the Head of Security. He would know that she was send to help me a year ago and he would hopefully not find it strange that I would like to look her up to say thank you.

I was right. It took me ten minutes to get her address out of him. Now I just need to convince her that what I did, I did for her safety.

CHELSEY

I had two days off because EJ was sick. Walking to my cubicle, I can hear the girls whisper excitedly about the new guy at SHIELD. I wasn't aware of any new appointments, so when the whispering becomes more intense and everybody is looking at someone behind me, I turn around to see who the new addition is.

That's when I saw him. He was standing with his back to me. At first, I thought I must be seeing things. Surely he can't be at SHIELD, but then he turned to his left to speak to Director Fury, and all doubt was removed.

Oh my goodness, this is bad. I can't be here. I make a quick left turn and disappear into the restroom, making sure that I keep my head down and turned away from the group of men standing not fifteen meters from us. My heart is racing so much that it feels like I am going to have a heart attack.