Chapter 9: Another Journey

Loxley led the way, never once doubting that the three of us would follow her. She didn't even take away our weapons! Her confidence was getting on my nerves, but I wasn't about to test her abilities by fighting; her skills were no doubt superior to mine, especially in my weakened state.

Kilgorian and Arlo limped behind her in an attempt to reclaim their dignity, proving themselves to be worthy guards by putting themselves between Loxley and me so she couldn't get the upper hand again. They kept their hands on the hilt of their swords in preparation. I told them that it wouldn't be necessary, but they refused to relax.

I brought up the rear, but I wasn't alone.

"She's an interesting one." My father acknowledged.

I didn't want to cause Arlo or Kilgorian any more anxiety, so I responded to my father internally.

That's a polite way to put it.

"I wonder who she is..."

Does it matter?

"She works for the man who helped orchestrate your protection and royal status in the palace."

So what?

He shakes his head in wonder. "Your lack of curiosity astounds me. You don't know a thing about this girl, and yet you've agreed to follow her into the lion's den."

She didn't give me much of a choice.

"And what about Arlo?"

What about him?

"How much do you know about him?"

I thought about it for a while before admitting, not much...

"He also works for this Rowan character, and yet you trust the man with your life."

He's earned my trust. He kept me safe.

"But he kept his identity from you. Why do you think that is?"

I don't know.

"And you don't care?"

Well... I guess I do care a little-...

He was trying to make me doubt Arlo's loyalty to me, and it was kind of working. "Arrian already deceived you by keeping his identity hidden. How can you be okay with Arlo doing the same thing?"

The mention of Arrian's name threw my mind into a completely different direction. My palms started to sweat as I shook with nervous energy.

Maximus' lie will get to him.

"About you being a prisoner of war in Gaius' palace?"

I nod. Arrian will go looking for me.

He raises a skeptical eyebrow as he asks, "Are you sure about that? You're putting a lot of faith in this man's attachment to you."

He loves me.

"Does he still? I mean... he didn't do anything after the attack on the palace when Decimus was murdered. And now that the Empress is dead..."

I swallowed the growing lump in my throat.

"... maybe she was wrong; maybe he won't understand why you didn't save her."

I can't save everyone.

"But you should have saved her if you wanted him to save you..."

You're wrong. Arrian will try to save me. He'll march towards Galacian territory the minute he hears the news.

"If you say so."