Chapter 25: Little Ripples

My feet begin to stomp forward without my permission. He spots me instantly. Sensing something in my stride and demeanour, he grabs a sword from a fallen soldier and holds it at the ready.

I stop a few feet away from him.

The words come tumbling out... "I thought you were on my side! I trusted you! How could you do this to me?!"

"I am on your side... I've always been on your side."

"This isn't how it was supposed to end. We had a plan! Why would you do this?! What point were you trying to make?!"

His voice is commanding, despite his shaking hands. "Revenge is a tricky thing, Candra. You should know that better than anyone."

"Tell me you didn't do it."

"I'm surprised you would even ask me that."

"That's not an answer."

"We're all just monsters hunting other monsters. I am no exception, and neither are you. It's hard to decide who is meant to win."

"I refuse to accept that."

"I tried to warn you, Candra. As much as we both wanted this, you knew that there would be a heavy price to pay."

"I was prepared for losses, but not like this..."

He frowns at me with tired eyes, "You really think I did it, don't you?"

"You were supposed to let me go. You promised me that you wouldn't hold on! I thought we moved past this?!" I'm enraged by how unaffected he seems to be.

"After a lifetime of revenge and justice, blurring the lines to kill when you think it's right, you don't get over it... you get used to it."

"That's what I was afraid of."

He clutches the crown tighter in his left hand as he raises the sword a little higher in his shaking right hand.

I raise my own sword in preparation for the upcoming slaughter. "Tell me you didn't do it..." I repeat venomously.

"Do what you have to, Candra. We both knew this day was coming."

"I'll kill you..."

He sighs, "Shall we begin?"

~*~*~*~

I bolted up right in a flash, panting and sweating from the stress of the nightmare. The sun is shining brightly overhead and our campsite is bustling with activity as everyone prepares for the day. I look around for Arlo, but he's no longer by my side. Instead my father is waiting with a curious expression.

"Anything new?" He asks immediately.

I shrug. "Just confirming my earlier suspicions that I'll be betrayed by someone I trusted..."

"No identity yet?"

"It's frustrating!" I exclaim, "In the nightmare I obviously recognize him, but his face becomes a complete blur the moment I wake up. I have no memory of his features, nor can I place the sound of his voice. I don't understand why this is happening. It would be so much easier if I could just remember who he is so I can avoid the encounter all together!"

He gives me a sad smile. "I don't think things are meant to come easily to you. You'll have to face this nightmare someday whether you like it or not; it won't go away on its own."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

His eyes wonder down to my hands, resting in my lap. He points at them to draw my attention, "You must miss him a lot."