Chapter 29: A Strange Move

I had been discreetly cutting my bindings with a shattered piece of glass while talking to him. The ropes snapped and fell away behind my back. I sprung to my feet and quickly tackled a startled Corvin to the ground. It didn't take much to knock him out; two quick knocks across his face combined with the force of his head hitting the ground after the tackle was all it took.

Once I'm positive that he won't wake up, I jump up and race to the window to check on Rowan. I'm relieved to find that he doesn't have any serious wounds aside from the growing bump on the back of his head where Corvin struck him. I carefully remove the ropes from his wrists before shaking him awake.

His eyes flutter. "Candra? What happened? Where did those guys go?" He asks in a daze.

"One dead, the other unconscious." I report as I help him to his feet.

He takes in the room and all its gruesome glory. His eyes rest on the lifeless boy.

"So this is my brother..." He muses before correcting himself, "Was... he was my brother."

"I suppose so." Is all I can offer in reply.

"He doesn't look much like me..."

I survey the boy's face carefully, looking for a family resemblance. "I suppose he shares some features with his father." I then look to the woman by his side. "She looks a little more like him. Perhaps she was his true mother after all..."

"Well at least he wasn't alone."

I can tell that this whole situation is really starting to get to him. Seeing his lost brother living in squalor with his parents was bringing up his own miserable past. I had to get him out of there fast.

I pull my sash back over my face and lift my hood. "We should head to the rendezvous point. After we recruit the gladiators, we can move towards Octain Port for Bailer."

He nods absentmindedly as he pulls on his own hood while continuing to stare down at Phoebus.

I move towards Corvin, "Let me just finish him off."

Rowan doesn't even question my decision; he's too dazed to process it.

I unsheathe my sword and lift it over my head, preparing to bring it down.

A loud crash startles me to a halt. I turn my gaze to the front door that had just been flung open. Five Romallian guards march into the room. With wide eyes they look from Rowan, to me, to the impaled assassin, to the pile of bodies, and then finally rest their gaze on their unconscious comrade at my feet.

I swear under my breath as I realize what's about to happen.

The first guard points at me with a furious gaze. "Seize the murderers!"

I spin hastily and grab Rowan's wrist with my free hand before kicking open the back door. We race through the threshold and down the narrow alleyway. I can hear the thumping of sandals from behind as the guards chase us, hollering for our surrender. I had no idea where I was running to, I just kept pulling Rowan along down the various twists and turns of Antigo's back alleys.

Once we seemed to gain some ground over our pursuers, I pulled Rowan behind some broken barrels so we could catch our breath and get our bearings. I was finally able to put my sword back into my sheath. Rowan pulled my sash away from my mouth to help me relax. I was grateful for the fibre-free intake of air.

"I have to go back."

I try to stand, but Rowan is quick to yank me back down.

"You can't go back! Why would you even want to?!"