Chapter 42: Hello, Brother

It didn't take much to convince the sailors to turn their boat around. They didn't want the two of us aboard any more than I did.

Arlo immediately grabbed my unconscious brother when we docked. He pulled Marcus' hood back on and tossed his limp body over his shoulder to carry him away. He didn't have to tell me that he would be taking my brother somewhere private; one sharp glance said it all.

Arrian held out his hand to help me off the boat. I gingerly placed my hand in his as I purposefully avoided his questioning gaze.

"Was that the guy that the old man mentioned?" He asked pointedly.

I ignore the question as I brush off the fish guts from my knees that was caused by my crash landing.

"Was he in Octain Port to kill Bailer like you said?"

I hated the fact that he heard so much of my conversation with the old man. Thankfully it seemed that he missed the part where the old man said he looked like me. I still needed to talk to Marcus before anyone else attacked me with questions about my brother.

The safest thing to do was to answer Arrian's questions to negate further suspicion. "Yes... he's another assassin."

"Why didn't you kill him? Didn't you kill the one in Antigo?"

I mentally curse Rowan, knowing that it must have been him who relayed this information to Arrian. He probably also mentioned Corvin's involvement, piling on the secrets that I had yet to tell him myself. He must be feeling agitated with me.

"We can get information out of him first. Perhaps he knows where we can find Diana in the mountain range."

He doesn't give up. "You seemed to know-"

Rowan and Evander save me from further interrogation as they join us on the docks. Rowan must have recognized my discomfort, quickly cutting Arrian off like it was an accident. "That was some jump you made, Candra."

"You looked like a flying squirrel!" Evander laughs as he playfully punches my shoulder.

"Blame it on the adrenaline."

"Well we've got Bailer, safe and sound. We haven't told him about his royal blood yet, nor our plans to make him Emperor. We figured it would be best to get him somewhere safe first in case the assassin had backup." Rowan is basically asking me if Marcus was alone, reminding me how we both overheard the Antigo assassin mentioning his plans to assist with Bailer's kill. Just because we eliminated him before he could doesn't mean other assassins weren't on their way. With only two bastards left, all of Gaius' resources must have been converging together for the final push.

"He was alone, but it's still a good idea to get him back to the campsite as soon as possible. I would feel better if he were surrounded by dozens of gladiators..."

"We'll take him back." Rowan gestures to Evander, Arrian and himself. "You should go after Arlo and see if he needs any help getting information out of the guy."

"Sounds good."

They move to re-board the ship to convince Bailer to join them. I'm about to set off as well, but Arrian grabs my wrist and holds me back. He leans in to whisper into my ear, "I saw him, Candra." My heart begins to race again. I try to pull away, but he squeezes my wrist tighter. He continues, "I know it's your brother."

"Arrian... I..."

"Just what else have you been hiding from me?"

I don't know how to respond.

Arrian releases my arm and walks away. I can tell by the way his shoulders slump that he's disappointed with me. I may have told him a great deal of secrets, but apparently it wasn't enough. We were lovers; we were supposed to tell each other everything.