Chapter 55: An Unforgettable Day

We continued to ride towards the town of Massif along the mountain range where Diana was originally found. After careful calculation we determined the most probable route that the Romallian troops would be taking back to their campsite. It was our job to intercept them and take Diana off their hands.

Once we found a decent perch to catch them unawares, we stowed our horses and made camp. If the Commander was expecting Diana by mid-afternoon, then his troops should be passing through this area sometime around dawn. We had about six hours to catch some sleep before we had to prepare for our surprise attack.

Rowan sat down beside me with a mixed expression. He seemed both relieved and on edge. "So I guess this is it, right? Once we get Diana, I'll have no chance of persuading you to take the throne."

Of course he was thinking of that.

"It's not mine to take, Rowan. Technically it's yours if you want to own up to your royal status."

He smirks, amused by how easy it's become for me to turn the tables on him.

"I wouldn't make a good Emperor." He declares.

"And I wouldn't make a good Empress." I counter.

"You know that's not true, Candra. Just because you don't want something doesn't mean you're not good at it."

"But not wanting it should be enough of a reason to get you to back off." I said this with a little more edge then I intended to, so I follow up with a more soothing tone. "If not wanting the throne is enough to take you out of the running, then why can't I use the same reason?"

"It's more than that. Sure, I don't want it. But aside from my royal bloodline, I have nothing to offer the people to prove that I'd be a good ruler! And may I point out that neither does Diana..."

"We'll be giving her credit for this entire plan, specifically the killing of both Emperors. With my endorsement, she'll be all set."

"But-"

"We can easily do the same for you instead, Rowan. Come forth as Nero and then take credit for this entire plan, which I might add is actually true. Killing both Emperors was your idea. All I did was cause you an excessive amount of trouble by changing your chosen ruler. If you were to simply take the throne for yourself, we wouldn't have had to waste all this time searching for a royal bastard."

"I don't have the same credentials as you do-"

"You'll have the same credentials as Diana!"

"-and I personally don't think that will be enough!" He let slip.

This stopped me cold. I was beyond confused and feeling slightly betrayed.

"What's going on here?"

He was silent for a moment. I could read the look of remorse painted across his face.

"Rowan, tell me!"

He rubs his hands together nervously, staring down at the ground to avoid eye contact. "I'm sorry, Candra. I don't think the people will take Diana as their Empress, even if you endorse her and tell the people that she killed both her father and uncle with her own hands. I just-..." He lets out a heavy sigh. "... I just don't think it's enough. And the same goes for me."

"Why?"

He throws his hands up in defeat. "I don't know! Maybe it's because I think the people won't accept mine or Diana's bloodline after thirty years of war to settle a ridiculous family dispute?! Or maybe it's simply because you'll still be standing after all this; The Miracle of Romallia survives yet again when faced with impossible odds. Who wouldn't want to be ruled by someone so immortal?!"