Chapter 37: Taking Shelter

We didn't get very far that day due to a sudden storm in the late afternoon. The grey clouds rolled in from west, covering the raging sun and bright blue sky without warning. The thunder came only seconds apart. Before we could even decide on what to do, the rain began to pummel down like a fierce waterfall. Everyone began to run as fast as they could down the path we were travelling. The horses went wild with fright every time the thunder roared. Those who were holding the reigns basically skated across the muddy roadway as they were dragged by the steeds. The rest of us tried to keep up without falling. Lighting crashed down close by, proving that the storm was too much for us to merely find shelter in the forest. We couldn't outrun the storm. In fact, it seemed that we were travelling in the same direction as it was.

We finally found sheltered structures ahead. Everyone began to run towards them without caution.

I on the other hand stopped short when I took in the sight before me.

It was an independent farmland by the Brook Banks, though it had been long abandoned based on the state of the fields. There were no crops or fenced in animals. Instead the ground looked infertile and unmanageable. Murky white bones poked out of the upturned, wet soil. The animals must have died from neglect before scavenging wolves gnawed on the carcasses. The gladiators ran through without a care, shattering various skulls and ribcages. They were making their way to the barn that stood erect just past the fenced area. It was still standing, but just barely. The roof was littered with holes and the wood on the sides was cracking from neglect. The small cottage beside the barn was completely useless to us since the entire roof had caved in long ago, so the men didn't even bother wasting their time checking it out. Beyond the farm there was another large stretch of field that no longer prospered crops like it used to.

I had been here before...

I held my hand over my eyes to shield myself from the rain as I took in the familiar sight before me. My brother, father and I were working in the fields beyond. A wagon pulled up to the house and killed the owner, then took a little girl captive. My brother and I hid amongst the tall grass. My father chased after the intruders to save the girl, but he couldn't catch up. We buried the farmer as my father told us about the war. We didn't want to take the blame when someone came around asking questions about the previous owner. We left without knowing what would become of the little girl.

Despite my young age, the memory was completely vivid.

This was Jeyne's farmland.

This was her home.

Whatever happened to little Jeyne?

Did she grow up to become a whore for the soldiers? Or perhaps she was now a royal consort? Did she train to become a Galacian soldier? Or maybe she was a spy like the fake Princess, or an assassin like Marcus...

What if she was already dead?

I shook of the horrid thought, hoping that she was still alive and that we would find her in the Galacian Capital. I mentally took note to look for her while we searched for Rhea. It would be difficult to identify someone I saw only as a child, but I would still give it my best effort.

I wonder what she would say if she saw her father's legacy turned to rubble. I suppose no one took up the work on the farm all those years ago, suggesting that Jeyne had no other family. If my father had known this, perhaps he would have decided to take up the farm instead of the gladiator sword. My life would have been a whole lot different if Marcus and I had grown up watching my father tend to animals and crops rather than spill blood in an arena.

Being here, looking at what could have been... it was all just so sad.

Arlo realizes that I'm not following the crowd forward. He turns back around and grabs my hand, shouting over the deafening thunder and pulsating rain. Despite his volume I can't quite make out what he's saying, but it's not difficult to catch the general impression of his words. He doesn't wait for a response. He pulls me along as quickly and carefully as he can.