Chapter 49: Farewells and Attachments

To say that the morning proceeded in an awkward fashion would be an understatement.

When I got back to the campsite, I was attacked with hugs and a barrage of questions from my friends. They became exceedingly suspicious the moment they saw my brother tied up. Arlo sat him down by the fire that was still blazing from the night before; a small courtesy after our chilling adventure on the high-seas. Once Marcus was safely settled, Arlo and Rowan ordered both Arrian and Loxley to hand over all their weapons before forcing them to sit down on either side of my brother. If they moved, Arlo would tie them up too. This raised even more questions from our friends.

Evander, Camilla, Brutus, Quintus, Newt, Theo and Kilgorian all gathered around. The other gladiators from Tiberius' training grounds were kind enough to help keep the other warriors at a distance. We still didn't want everyone to know who I was, especially now that Bailer was dead. Quintus would tell the others an edited version of the story later on.

Arlo remained on guard over the three accused.

Rowan never strayed from my side.

And so I began to explain...

I told them that I found my brother. I summarized his journey over the last year that led him to become an assassin, but I was sure to stress the fact that he didn't kill Bailer. I also kept his involvement in Decimus' death a secret. My brother gave me a curious look when I chose to hide this fact, but nevertheless he didn't pipe up to reveal it himself. Kilgorian's disheartened expression after hearing the phrase 'killing off the royal offspring' was enough to verify that Decimus' murder was running through his mind. I just had to pray to Hannibal that he didn't make the connection; that he continued to believe it was the fake Princess. If Kilgorian one day accused my brother, I would surely deny it.

I told them of Arrian's plan to take me away, as well as Loxley's involvement. This included the explanation of my brother's innocence in the murder of Bailer, along with my suspicions against Loxley. I was also very animate about Arrian's noble intentions, worried that the others might turn against him for abandoning the mission.

I told them of Loxley's previous attempt on my life, as well as the conversation we had yesterday afternoon that made her look more and more guilty of the crime. Everyone seemed to come to the same conclusion: Loxley killed Bailer and blamed it on the assassin. They didn't understand her motives though, and I had to play along in the confusion. Without revealing Rowan's true identity and her desire to put Nero on the throne, she had no real motive. They couldn't even conclude that she wanted me on the throne, however incorrect and stupid that idea may seem to those who know the whole truth, because she helped Arrian in my forced escape. Despite being stumped, everyone just chose to accept that Loxley was to blame for the royal bastard's death.

I told them that my brother knew where Diana was. They were skeptical at first, but I assured them that he was now on our side in this war. I also told them that Rowan and I agreed to keep him under constant supervision and captivity until he proved his loyalty. This put the others at ease.

Finally, I told them of our decision to split up into two groups for the sake of efficiency and discretion. Quintus and Newt agreed to lead the gladiators in further training ground invasions and in preparation for the upcoming war. They were a little displeased to discover that they would also be in charge of Loxley's semi-banishment, but after some argument they agreed to make her useful. Loxley wanted to object to this idea, but one hard look from Rowan shut her up immediately. There was nothing she could say or do to change his mind; this was her penance. Every wrongdoing comes with a price.

I told the rest of the circle that they would be joining Rowan and I in tracking down Diana. This also brought forth a great deal of resistance as they argued over the importance of this girl. Quintus, Newt, Brutus, and Theo argued in favour of putting The Miracle of Romallia on the throne while Evander, Camilla, Arlo and Kilgorian argued against it. Most of my defenders took my feelings on the matter into consideration, but Camilla just stated that she would rather die than bow down to me again as she was once forced to as a Lady's Companion. Her disgusted expression actually made me laugh. Arrian clearly wanted to weigh in on the matter, but he wisely decided to keep his mouth shut after everything he'd done. Normally Rowan would be all over a chance to support my claim to the throne, but he also remained silent. Now was not the time for him to push me further away by attacking me with the crown. My brief absence had scared him; he didn't want me to disappear a second time, especially by choice.