50 shades of date (37)

Alacris Valencia

So here we were, at 5 am, in the living room of my parents and it was the epitome of awkwardness. My parents were sitting across from Mr. Cadman, their eyes wide awake now as they stared at him somehow expecting him to elaborate further while he sat there like he had already said all that could be said regarding the matter.

I was lying on the couch munching happily on the cookies my mom had made that I found in the kitchen. God! I fucking missed my home.

My father being a psychologist took it upon himself to diffuse the tension in the room by what he thought was a calm approach.

"So you're basically situated in Maine?" he phrased the sentence in a questioning manner, even though he already knew the answer given the whole previous fashion show fiasco.

"Yes sir, it's a small intimate community," Mr. Cadman replied.

"It's a cult," I remarked.

My parents turned to me, not quite sure whether I was being disrespectful or truthful.

"It's true. They have their own God and everything. And some very mysterious out-of-the-box traditions where they go for a run on full moon," I further elaborated; though I am not sure they believed me.

"Would you like more coffee, dear?" my mother proceeded to ask Mr. Cadman, she was already up pouring more into her cup with slightly shaking hands.

"No, thank you," he replied politely.

"So how long have you been dating?" my father questioned further as my mother came back to sit beside him, their hands slipping into each other.

"Officially for five days," he said in an entirely calm voice making me snort.

"So you must be a little serious for you to come visit us so soon," my father again phrased it as a question looking out the window at the rising sun. He was totally treating it as one of his cases. trying to see the logic at the end of all of it.

Yeah, good luck with that dad.

"Yes, we'll be getting married soon," Mr. Cadman replied with a hint of satisfaction in his voice as if the term boyfriend was bothering him until now.

His reply made my parents' faces snap up to mine with eyes wide and jaws on the floor.

"Yeah, but I am expecting a grand proposal so it might take some time," I said while taking a big bite of the cookie making the crumbs fall on my face. Besides, you know we have to organize a werewolf massacre before so all the focus is kind of on that.

My parents collectively decided to turn back to him, still somehow finding him more sensible than me even though he was bludgeoning the hell out of this get-together that he had planned without informing me.

This time, my mom took it upon herself to mend the situation that was deaccelerating down at the speed of light.

"What about your parents? Do they live in Maine as well?"

"They died when I was eight," Mr. Cadman said while shaking his head.

A+ for efforts though mom.

"He has a grandfather who carries around a gun," I supplied the extra info. No need to mention it was a toy gun and there was another grandfather too who had psychotic issues and tortured me in a dungeon.

"So you're planning on marriage," my father made a not-so-smooth U-turn in the conversation with what he thought was a smile but it was more of an awkwardly twisted face grimace.